Tail stock 3MT to 3MT extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tail stock 3MT to 3MT extension

I've been using an MT3 to MT3 extension on my tailstock. Works okay for me...so far. Seems to be rigid enough for what I do. Thinking I making it a permanent arrangement. Freeze the extension and tap into the tail stock.

Are there disadvantages to what I am doing ? Seems to work really well. Chucks are removed using a taper drift. Chucks and drills always lock into place.

Has anyone else done something like this ?

Last edited by TR; 05-07-2011, 11:49 PM.

I use a live center enough that I prefer the stiffness of a short tailstock. To the point that I crank it back to "0" as often as possible.

DJ

Comment

Deflection when subjected to a radial load. Maximum precision means turning between centres. Maximum precision requires maximum rigidity.

A better question might be are there any advantages.

Phil

Originally posted by TR
      Are there disadvantages to what I am doing ?

Comment

Why not move the tailstock?

Comment

If for some reason you frequently need extra reach with your tailstock, a better idea might be to convert yours into a capstan tailstock with a feed wheel on the front of the tailstock. A new tailstock quill can then be machined to be as long as you want.
          "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Make a second longer quill out of pre-HT stuff..Fairly simple project and it only takes a minute or two to swap quills.

Comment

I'm going to assume your tired of cranking the crossfeed back out of the way for drilling.

A long extension in the tailstock has problems. Even a long quill has some problems but is better than the extension.

I don't have a problem with cranking the crossfeed back out of the way and sometimes I have to set the compound at 45 deg so everything will clear a live center in the tailstock.

I hope your not using a live center AND the extension.
              It's only ink and paper

Comment

Working...
              X