A deal I stumbled on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A deal I stumbled on.

Hello everyone, it has been awhile since I posted here, but I stumbled on a deal on three machines recently.
    The first is a Boyar-Schultz 6-12 surface grinder,

the second a 1951 vintage Bridgeport M-head mill,

and the third a Kondia FV-1 Powermill.

I am currently working on getting the shop cleaned up so I can get them in to start on repairs and assembly of them. . The Surface grinder needs the table travel assembly rebuilt, the work was started by the previous owner but never finished. The Bridgeport needs a good cleaning and new wiring, and the Kondia will need retrofitted with new motor controllers, as it was an old CNC or NC mill.
    Dan.

Nice score.
    "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

It's not a deal without prices. Please, shock me.
      Stuart de Haro

Comment

Originally posted by hornluv
        It's not a deal without prices. Please, shock me.
        Boyar-Schultz 6-12 Surface Grinder, with Manual magnetic chuck, 12" X 18" x 4"? thick, surface plate and a small toolmakers vise. $875
        Bridgeport M-head Mill, with a Bridgeport vise. No tooling $1600
        Kondia FV-1 Powermill, with Kurt style vise, ten or so #30 NMTB tool holders and the old junk control panel. $750
        And a 7-1/2hp 3 phase motor for $75 and a bunch of end mills of unknown quality for $45
        For a grand total of $3345.
        Dan.

Comment

What part of the world are you in?
          "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

I live outside of Meadville, Pa. There are probably more tool & die makers and machinists here per capita then anywhere else in the states.
            I graduated from Tool & Die Technology in our local vo-tech school in 1980 and the job market was extremely bad at the time so I took another path in life and ended up being a Steamfitter in the Local Union.
            I started seriously looking for a Bridgeport or Wells-Index mill about seven years ago, but I keep missing them or getting out bid on them (at auctions) I bought my Clausing 6903 lathe about three years ago and that really motivated me to find a mill, I missed two in the last two months. When I mentioned this to an iron worker on a job, he said he had a couple of mills and the surface grinder he wanted rid of. We went and looked at them with the understanding that the Kondia was a CNC machine that he did not have the control panel for (turns out he did), I made an offer on the SG and the M-head, and he accepted the offer. When I went to move the SG home, he told me that he wanted to get rid of the Kondia mill what was it worth to me I said scrap price of $500, we agreed on the final price to include the vise and tooling for it.
            For once I won one. I want one mill and ended up with two, once and awhile life hands you Aces instead of deuces!
            Dan.

Comment

Well, I'd say you got a really nice deal on the Kondia, even if it does have a bad control. Keep us posted on the restoration efforts.
              Stuart de Haro

Comment

Working...
              X