Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone, I am happy to be a member of this fantastic site.

A little about myself: Happily married father of three, another on the way (anyday now). I hail from south central kentucky. Grew up on a farm, went to Army after highschool (11-Bravo). After Army went to school, worked in a Job Shop, ran my own dairy farm, worked for various other machine shops along the way, worked for Remington Arms Co. in the R & D facility. Currently working for Army Corps of Engineers in a Hydroelectric Power Plant, (Mechanic).

I love Machining Metal, and learning new ways to do so. I am now passing my skills on to my 10yr. old son, as he has expressed some interest in knife making, among other things. I just bought a Wells Index 747 for my son. Am in the process of fully equipping my shop for myself/son.

I hope to learn some new ideas from you folks.

Regards,

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan -
    Welcome aboard! I hope you enjoy your time here. Thanks for the service to our country in the Army. Best Regards - Warren

Comment

Welcome, Jonathan.
      You've probably already seen what this site has to offer and it sounds like you have a lot to contribute too. Don't let the cranky old farts ruin your day, they're just not happy 'till you're not happy!
      Gordon

Comment

Hi Jonathan and welcome to the forum.

There are a great bunch of guys here and a couple of turds.

So much knowledge in one stop.

You've got questions, we've got answers. Sifting through them is the fun part.

Enjoy.

Brian
        OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Welcome aboard Jonathan Hope to see you contributing to the forum, You have had a life full of interesting occupations, The Hydro Scheme sounds a challenge
          Keep us posted about new arrival

Dan.

Comment

Welcome and hats off to you for passing on your interest and skills to your son. Good luck with all your projects.

Comment

Thank you for the warm welcome. These are exciting times at the Sims household, with a new milling machine and new baby sister. I have to move the mill tomorrow, am hoping to get a boom truck or wrecker to get it off of the trailer, and position in my garage. I will post pics. when I get installed.

Regards,

Jonathan Sims

Comment

Welcome aboard you'll fit in fine here
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Welcome and looking forward to seeing your'e pics.

Comment

Welcome Jonathan, did you work at Remington in Mayfield Ky? 11 bravo, infantry, were you an officer?
                    It's only ink and paper

Comment

I worked at the Research and Development plant at Elizabethtown, Ky. I enjoyed it very much, and really enjoyed the people that work there. I was an Infantryman, enlisted member fresh out of highschool, I went to school after the Army and it seems have been in school ever since. The Corps of Engineers has sent me through the nashville district hydroElectric training program.

Well, I moved my new mill today, which was pretty uneventful. Got it loaded on the trailer and hauled it down the interstate. Well, now I am wondering how I am gonna get it off of the trailer. I am thinking about putting some boards leading off of the trailer, and putting some pipe underneath which to slide it on.

Comment

I hired a wrecker to lift it off the trailer and put it in the shop. I moved it with rollers to where it lives now. Did the same with the lathe.

A wrecker loaded them and a wrecker unloaded them. There's hungry independent wreckers out there.
                        It's only ink and paper

Comment

Got the mill off of the trailer today. I just rolled it off the trailer on pipes, and have it resting on some 4 by 4 post at the present time. The gentleman that I bought it off of has a gantry crane in his shop, so it was super easy to load. I paid an even $1000.00 for the mill and a brand new in the box DRO. It came with a vise as well.

Regards,

Jonathan

Comment

I jsut had a lathe delivered. I hired a flatbed towtruck at the suggestion of some fine folks here. Went great, hte guy inched it in with the hydraulics on the flat bed.

I moved a mill once myself and I used several 3" ratchet straps to secure it 4 ways and then let out a few inches, pull a few inches until it came off the trailer. It was a bit scary when the mill tipped from the flat of the trailer to the slope of the ramp of the trailer, but I had the straps to let out and this made for a controlled lowering.

KEJR

Comment

When I moved my mill in, the local auto parts store sent over a Bobcat with forks to lift it off the trailer and inch it into the garage. I got it the rest of the way into position with rollers and a 5' pry bar...then built the shop around it.

David
                              David Kaiser
                              “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
                              ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Working...
                              X