computer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• computer question

Had lots of trouble with browser crashing internet explorer 8... and loosing tabs .. ever since it was installed.

thinking about downloading IE8 here

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/i...downloads/ie-8

To a folder on my comp.

deleting the one on it ..plus all the updates security stuff ..and advantage thing

if 7 comes up instead ..will delete that as well

and installing the downloaded version first from the folder ..then getting the updates

my computer is 64 bit as far as i know

AMD 64 3000+

so should i pick the top down load which says "windows xp 64 bit"

and is the method Ive stated above the right way of going about it .

other ..

if i formated and started again ..which i did several times ..id still end up with explorer 7 and the issues with the update to explorer 8..

all the best.markj

The 64 bit question refers to the version of Windows you are using. In all probability if you don't know for sure then it is 32 bit windows even though the CPU is a 64 bit CPU. That being the case you should download the 32 bit version.

If you are running XP home then it is 32 bit.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Well i followed these instructions on the ms site

Is my PC running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows?

The terms 32-bit and 64-bit refer to the way a computer's processor (also called a CPU), handles information. The 64-bit version of Windows handles large amounts of random access memory (RAM) more effectively than the 32-bit version. Follow the steps in the sections below to find out if your PC is running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows and what edition of Windows is on your PC.
      Computers running Windows XP
      • Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
        • If "x64 Edition" is listed under System, you’re running the 64-bit version of Windows XP.
        • If you don’t see "x64 Edition" listed under System, you’re running the 32-bit version of Windows XP.
        The edition of Windows XP you're running is displayed under System near the top of the window.
      and it says im running

xp pro ..nothing about 32 bit or 64

so what you are saying is the 64 bit is another licence ...not the chip

all the best.markj

Comment

Save yourself a world of Micro$oft pain and download Firefox as your browser.

Comment

You have 32 bit XP. Proceed accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
            You have 32 bit XP. Proceed accordingly.
            ok thanks Evan ..

i just sent a message to MS asking for a free upgrade to xp64 ..

probably no chance ..but worth a try

all the best.markj

Comment

Is there a specific reason to have IE? If not, I would just install Opera, Firefox or some other good and reliable browser that actually shows websites as they are supposed to.
              Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

IE8 has been fraught with problems, even in beta versions. I downloaded it, and soon discovered IE8 had rendered my Security Suite ineffective, and blocked all updates to it. I sent an e-mail to my Security people and they told me it was directly related to the IE8 browser.

I downloaded IE7 and I'm back in business. They say the same thing is happening with IE9 now, too. Thank God there's a virus attacking MAC users, or I'd never hear the end of it..
                No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

IE8 sucks. It locks up totally when it can't finish loading a web site and you have to terminate it with task manager. It freezes for no apparent reason and will not close pages promptly when you try to shut it down. It is a memory pig in the extreme. I use it when required but also use Opera and am really liking k-meleon. K-meleon is spyware free, fast and open source.

Comment

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon
                    ok thanks Evan ..

i just sent a message to MS asking for a free upgrade to xp64 ..

probably no chance ..but worth a try

all the best.markj
                    No, it's not worth the try, not even if they do give it to you for free.

You only need a 64bit OS if you have more than 3GB of RAM or some very specific application requirement. If you are doing everything you need now under a 32bit OS, upgrading to 64bit will not make your life easier... it will make you hate MS even more.

As others have said... don't upgrade. Use another browser; there are lots to choose from:
                    Firefox
                    Opera
                    Chrome
                    Safari

There are many, many others... each have advantages and disadvantages (I prefer Firefox because of the Adblock plugin). Just about any of them are better than what Microsoft has put out the last while.
                    http://fixerdave.blogspot.com/

Comment

No, it's not worth the try, not even if they do give it to you for free.

OK thanks

later date then ..I hear windows 7 requires it

this lot of updates plus explorer do need deleting

because ..the latest updates will not install

This one wont KB2360937

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS10-084 - Important
                      Vulnerability in Windows Local Procedure Call Could Cause Elevation of Privilege (2360937)

Published: October 12, 2010

Ive tried other browsers ..i just dont like them.

all the best.markj

Comment

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon
                        OK thanks

later date then ..I hear windows 7 requires it

all the best.markj
                        Hi Mark

If your referring to IE8 or IE9 ....then win 7 x64 doesnt require them. (and I assume that goes for x32 as the removal instructions are the same)..

To remove them you goto CPanel->Programs and Features->Turn windows Features on/off and then untick it..
                        The goto CPanel->Programs and Features->Installed updates ...and untick it from there to remove all its files...

Win 7 works just fine without it.

Rob

Comment

I am thinking about installing Firefox and have one question, at least. Can you keep your list of Favorite sites from IE when you switch to Firefox? If so, how? Is it automatic?

I am running under XP, probably 32 bit. Presently have IE 8.
                          Paul A.
                          SE Texas

Make it fit.
                          You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore
                            I am thinking about installing Firefox and have one question, at least. Can you keep your list of Favorite sites from IE when you switch to Firefox? If so, how? Is it automatic?

I am running under XP, probably 32 bit. Presently have IE 8.
                            Firefox has an imports feature..and you can choose exactly what yo want to import..

It doesnt destroy your IE setup when importing...but any new changes/additions you make to the imported data once using Firefox will not show in your original IE data (obviously)..

Rob

Comment

You can also export all your IE favorites to a web page and then load that when you want in firefox or any other browser. I find it a lot easier to use. Make it your start page and keep it open in a tab.

File>import/export>export to a file>favorites

Comment

Working...
                              X