arrogance company policy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RussZHC
    Interesting as I was in the local lumber supplier (non-chain store) a couple of times the last few days who are encouraging their customers to use cash as companies get charged a percentage by the credit card company for each purchase with a card. Their logic: an attempt to hold prices down.
    It's not just a percentage, there's a per-transaction fee also. Both can vary by the type of business and whether you have a store-front or sell by "catalog". Besides that, you need a banknet connection and the equipment to accept a CC. It's tough on the mom and pop places trying to squeeze a profit out of a sale. The larger companies just don't want to bother with the labor and bookkeeping on a small sale. It takes time away from their "accounts".

Comment

At work I will stop what I am doing,walk up front and wait on a customer for a $.10 sale.Many times if what they need is a small item,say a setscrew or cotter key I'll just give it to them.We lose money constantly doing this,but we keep doing it.

Why?Because it's good business and even better PR.It builds customer loyalty and that builds a business.

So far as payment,all forms are accepted,except American Express.

CC and credit account sales though cost %10 extra.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by platypus2020
        They said it stops theft, no one has to go to the bank on a daily basis and makes their paperwork easier. Their stance is take it or leave it.
        I totally agree with these companies. It is a real pain to have 3 cash streams - electronic (Credit/Debit), Cheques, and Cash. Cash takes a lot of time and creates a lot of problems that go beyond the ones you have listed.

On minimum orders, I can see it if you are a bumpkin just 'off the street', but if you are 'know' there should be no minimum.

Comment

isnt there a law that american money has to be accepted?

Comment

I know of several companies/stores that operate in this manner with minimum purchases, but its because they want to discourage public sales. My former local Grainger was that way before I moved. Unless you had a corporate account set up with them, there was a decently high minimum store purchase. It allowed the sales people to give you better service by keeping the riffraff out, versus the local Fastenal, where you had to wait 20 mins for the sales people to get done finding 3 screws for joe public. Im not saying its the right thing for that company to do, but in some cases it does work.
            "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Digikey had a min order. But they just charge ya a $5 'Handleing' fee if you are under the ($25 I believe?) min order. Sensable, recoups any costs that tiny transactions could ever occure, And encourages people to buy more without telling them to bugger off if they really don't want to buy more.

Of course, Now they have apparently droped that, And now have a flat rate $8 shiping to canada, and free shipping over $200. Nice.
              Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I can understand it.

I ran a contracting business, and after the first few months, I didn't want to take jobs less than a certain amount.

This is the same thing, in a different form.

You're not their target market, it's as simple as that.

If you go somewhere else, where you ARE the target market, both of you will be happier.

Comment

MSC in Nebraska has solved the problem of walk-in business...........they did away with almost all of their local inventory.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammer Six
                    I can understand it.

I ran a contracting business, and after the first few months, I didn't want to take jobs less than a certain amount.

This is the same thing, in a different form.

You're not their target market, it's as simple as that.

If you go somewhere else, where you ARE the target market, both of you will be happier.
                    Not sure I agree with that, contracting is very different than industrial supply given the frequency/ buying behaviour of the customers. Anyone with a machine shop is, home or industry, buying stuff constantly. Some days its $500, some days its $5. As a contractor, you might not see a customer again for years if ever - you need to think in terms of profit on of job rather than what KBC should be doing, profit on the account.

imo its not arrogant, just a bit silly. It's such a low minimum I doubt it alters the target market, just annoys it a bit. They had it for years and given how much choice we have, you learn to live with it. I type stuff i need into the phone and by the time a get around to ordering 25 isn't an a problem anymore. I wonder what problem they had that they thought this would solve?

Kind of a related thing; any commercial guys buying from them? What sort of discount are you getting? That's the way it seems most industrial supply places tackle it

Black Moons, you are so right - Digikey provides such an amazing service from what you'd have to think would be a sku count in the milions... If MSC or the likes woke up and did the same (heck its a market the size of CA with almost no credible catalogue competition), KBC wouldn't exist
                    Last edited by Mcgyver; 05-13-2011, 01:25 AM.
                    in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Chester
                      Had a local bearing supplier who would not accept cash for OTC pickups............had to use a C. Card for $10.

Seems the staff were not trustworthy...............guess he had a real problem.

Have moved on.
                      Not accepting cash is sometimes a better accounting policy. It has nothing to do with employee honesty. Credit card transactions are a electronic cash handling means. No one has to make a trip to the bank for deposits. A no cash policy means no cash on hand to get robbed over.

I once needed to hire some off duty police security. I went to the station and tried to pay in cash. Sorry, we only accept checks!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Gravy
                        Maybe it's just me, but if a vendor can't be bothered to sell me one $2.00 part when I need it, I won't come back when I need a $2000 part.

McMaster-Carr will sell you a $2.00 pack of screws and ship it within 20 minutes at a reasonable cost without complaining about profitability. Seems to work for them.
                        They also add shipping and handling to the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch
                          Beanbag that never happened!!

The guy wasted more time yapping to my daughter about the $25.00 min. he simply went to a bin grabbed the knobs then totaled the bill with sales tax then put the sale through. DONE DEAL.
                          How far do you think the knobs originally were from the desk?

Comment

Next time ring up enough stuff to meet their minimum sale price walk out the door and put the stuff you want to keep in the truck. Bring the receipt and items you don't want back in for a return. Hopefully they didn't think about restocking fee's yet.

I have done it before and the sales person just laughed. He said it was a great way to beat the system. Now the store is open to my 12 dollar purchase. Before it was a 50 dollar minimum.

Comment

Geez, not as far as a mile ,maybe a mile and a quarter.

Comment

HEY.... I know.... I know... waving hand....

HEY, I know.. I know... pick me...

Is your daughter the least bit attractive and of Legal age?? Perhaps the guy is really a perv and
                                don't know how to talk to women... other than starting a slight argument..

I used to have a sign in my tattoo shop, don't like my prices? bring back your wife and we'll talk discount..
                                I had more laughs with that sign..

It gets really boring doing counter work looking at the same old "buttcracks" looking for a plumbing fitting.
                                Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Working...
                                X