No announcement yet.

arrogance company policy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Years ago we needed a box of a certain screw that was supposed to be bought from a certain company. It was like $10 for the box and they had a $50 minimum order.

This company also sold bushings, so to make the minimum order we had a shop assistant sit on the phone and place the order.

"What is your cheapest bushing"
    "33 cents"
    "Give me one of those, what's your next cheapest bushing?"
    "36 cents"
    "Give me one of those"

The lady on the other end of the line gave up and just told the shop assistant the McMaster Carr part # we needed for the box of screws.

Comment

Originally posted by Dawai

It gets really boring doing counter work looking at the same old "buttcracks" looking for a plumbing fitting.
      was that referring to working in industrial supply or tattooing ?
      in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

I'm a construction worker too.. since I was young.. Saw plenty of industrial counters for parts..

and plenty of butt cracks too.. in the supply house and the tattoo shop..
        Some of them customers I would have gave a discount for bathing beforehand..

(and I heard the wind blow more than once)...
        Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Couple of places around here (that I have experience with) have such a policy, a plastics place, plexiglas, etc, a rubber & gasket place, sheet rubber, belting. The hose dept at the local bearing vendor (but not the "bearing side" ??) Can't buy from Granger without an account & tax #. (Granger is my emergency vendor anyway, because of the prices.)

All these places have signs that say "MINIMUM CHARGE".

as to this:

" we had a shop assistant sit on the phone and place the order"

must be nice to be able to afford this kind of behavior.
          Last edited by Thruthefence; 05-13-2011, 10:26 PM.

Comment

They still in business ?

I bought from them one time..that was enough
            Green Bay, WI

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt
              I bought from them one time..that was enough
              See?

Their strategy works.

Comment

I haven't read all of this thread, but I get the gist of it! Here in Australia, it is illegal to advertise an items price without including GST/ TAX in the price, a few weeks ago I went to a local supplier to buy 5 litres of Inox, which is a lubricant and rust preventative, on the price tag was 74.00 followed by a small plus sign, when I went to pay for the Inox 10% was added to the price! I questioned this and was told that it would be impossible for them to have the CORRECT price on the item as they work out the DISCOUNTS for the TRADE customers on the list price before TAX is added? WTF? I should get the best discount! I am paying CASH, they do not have to wait for their money! All they had to do to RETAIN me as a customer was to follow the LAW and look after ME, THEIR NOW, LOST CUSTOMER! and perhaps offer a small discount for paying cash?
                Will

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch
                  Things must be GREAT in the economy.

What kind of business ethics is that when one cannot walk into a store and pick up an item or two because the price is not over their minimum of $25.00?

(I can understand this if it,s a phone order, or credit card order, but this was a small simple cash sale over the counter.)

Anyone else ran into similar circumstances as this?
                  I run up against minimum orders constantly.
                  Although I am surrounded with industrial supply houses and material sources out here, sources for small quantites are quite limited (IMHO). Minimum order amounts range from $5 at one of the fastener places in Cowtown, to $500 or more at some of the steel yards. Some do not do business at all on a cash or pick up basis, you have to be incorporated and issue a PO after setting up an account. Remember comments I made in the load cell thread re O rings? They had exactly what I needed, but couldn't/wouldn't sell me less than a millenia or two (1000 - 2000 years) worth of stock if I'd just set up an industrial account and issue a P.O.
                  To be fair, the place that gave me the most grief over order minimums offered free delivery (to a rural location), once I got to the next level as far as order size (IIRC, >$1000?). There are even some restaurants that have minimum check sizes (per person during lunch rush times, etc).
                  Design to 0.0001", measure to 1/32", cut with an axe, grind to fit

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
                    At work I will stop what I am doing,walk up front and wait on a customer for a $.10 sale.Many times if what they need is a small item,say a setscrew or cotter key I'll just give it to them.We lose money constantly doing this,but we keep doing it.

Why?Because it's good business and even better PR.It builds customer loyalty and that builds a business.
                    The industrial supply place I use does this. If you walk in to buy one or two bolts or set screws they will say don't worry about paying. Anything more than 5 or 6 of something they will ring it up. I always use cash or EFTPOS never credit cards because I know it costs them.

There are two branches of this business in town. The one near my office I try not to use as they have arrogant counter staff that rub me up the wrong way. I use the other branch that is close to where I used to live but is now, since I've moved house, about 10 minutes out of my way. I don't have an account but they always give me the trade rate.

I haven't come across any industrial outlet that has a minimum purchase policy. As Willy said, you might be spending $4.00 today but tomorrow you might buy something for $650.

I know I would never do business with a company again if they wouldn't sell me something because they had a minimum purchase policy.
                    Last edited by Rural53; 05-14-2011, 05:42 AM.

Comment

McMaster-Carr remains my vendor of choice. No minimum, and reasonable shipping rates. I try not to abuse the "no minimum" though, and usually try to make at least a $25 order (generally not hard to do). I think overall the policy pays off for them. Because of their excellent service I got a friend of mine to order over $500 worth of steel cable and turnbuckles from them, and I recently ordered over $600 worth of aluminum stair treads. If they hadn't wanted my business on the small stuff I doubt they would have gotten those bigger orders.

Somebody made a comment a while ago regarding US money being "...legal tender for all debts, public and private." (See the front of any US currency.) How does that square with accepting only credit cards? Is it that a business can refuse to establish a "debt" if you're going to pay with cash? Could you create a "debt" by taking some merchandise, leaving cash on the counter, and walking out?
                      ----------
                      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

When I go to my local KBC and buy something I pay with a check and am given a copy of the receipt. Then a few days latter I get the "official" receipt in the mail.

So obviously a minimum purchase is required to pay for the handling of this extra paper work.

Comment

Originally Posted by wierdscience
                          At work I will stop what I am doing,walk up front and wait on a customer for a $.10 sale.Many times if what they need is a small item,say a setscrew or cotter key I'll just give it to them.We lose money constantly doing this,but we keep doing it.

Why?Because it's good business and even better PR.It builds customer loyalty and that builds a business.

Originally Posted by Rural53
                          The industrial supply place I use does this. If you walk in to buy one or two bolts or set screws they will say don't worry about paying.

A number of years ago while employed at a bulk petroleum plant, someone I had never seen before walked in just as I was on my way out, said he needed a small can of protective spray lubricant. I looked at him, saw his logging contractor's pickup outside, and took a gamble and tossed him a can.

I was in a bit of a hurry when he asked how much, told him no charge and laughingly said that the next time he was in I'd charge him double for anything he bought. Everyone in the office looked looked at me as if I was an idiot,....stupid truck driver.
                          I just told them I had just spent $2.00 on advertising and PR, suck it up.

Fast forward 3 months, the guy is now one of our biggest clients with a monthly account that almost always exceeds $250,000!

A little money spent on seed and fertilizer usually pays off in a good crop.
                          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by Willy
                            Everyone in the office looked looked at me as if I was an idiot,....stupid truck driver.
                            I just told them I had just spent $2.00 on advertising and PR, suck it up.

Fast forward 3 months, the guy is now one of our biggest clients with a monthly account that almost always exceeds $250,000!
                            I'll bet those same folks didn't offer you a comission on that account either did they?
                            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
                              I'll bet those same folks didn't offer you a comission on that account either did they?
                              Not a chance.

But I was definitely all stocked up on "get out of jail for free" cards.
                              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by Willy
                                Not a chance.

But I was definitely all stocked up on "get out of jail for free" cards.
                                if the owner didnt spot you on the property ..did you not say anything...then chant out ha ha ha once off it with your next dice roll .

all the best.markj

Comment

Working...
                                X