No announcement yet.

arrogance company policy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never had any minimum order price issues on walk in, but this is small town NH where walk in is also somewhat of a social visit. Almost everything I deal with on the internet is minimum order of $50.00 or more.

Talk a bit back on this was about debit cards. I use debit cards for just about everything over $1.00 these days but for sodas, beers on the golf course and little goofy things , makes tracking of expenses easier and gives me an electronic reciept when I need reimbursements.
    CCBW, MAH

Comment

Originally posted by SGW
      Somebody made a comment a while ago regarding US money being "...legal tender for all debts, public and private." (See the front of any US currency.) How does that square with accepting only credit cards? Is it that a business can refuse to establish a "debt" if you're going to pay with cash? Could you create a "debt" by taking some merchandise, leaving cash on the counter, and walking out?
      Try that, and let us know how it went when you get out.

Currency CAN be accepted for all depts... so on and so forth.

There is certainly no requirement to do so.

Comment

No, I think currency HAS to be accepted for any existing debt...but a company can refuse to create the debt by refusing to sell to you if you are going to pay in cash. Maybe. I'm just guessing though.

Maybe I'll write the Treasury Dept. and ask exactly what that sentence on the front of US currency means. ("This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private.")
        ----------
        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

So, if I have that phrase printed on my checks, you have to take my checks?

I don't think so.

Nothing you're talking about has the force of law, or incurs any obligation.

There's nothing magic about that phrase.

Post your response from the treasury department, please.

Comment

Cash

That just means cash is ONE viable method of payment. It doesn't mean they HAVE to accept it.
            Kansas City area

Comment

Here's one reasonably authoritative answer:

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-cen...al-tender.aspx

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Mark K
                Here's one reasonably authoritative answer:

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-cen...al-tender.aspx
                Interesting. I knew a retailer could set any policy for payment, but I didn't realize that if they accepted cash, they could legally deny pennies or $100 bills:
                "Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise.
                For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations
                may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy."

By the way Mark, how close are you to Austin? Drop me a PM...
                "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Working...
                X