X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ScottyM
    • Nov 2009

HF hoist problem.

We have one of Harbor Freight's little 440 lb. hoists that we set up for a dedicated task. Recently it started doing something that has me scratching various parts of my anatomy.

Let's say your lifting a load and stop. Then you realize it's not high enough so you hit the up button again. Sometimes it does exactly what you expect. Other times it will do a slow controlled descent, even while your thumb is on the up button.

My first thought was a brake problem, but then I realized that when the hoist is activated the brake is energized, so it has no braking action in either direction. Only when you let off of the button does the brake slam shut.

I know that several members here are using these little hoists for uses just like we do. Have any of you run into this problem? All thoughts are welcome.

Scotty
  • TGTool
    • Aug 2005

I don't have one of the hoists so this explanation is purely speculative, but it sounds like the up button is simply not energizing the motor, however it is energizing the brake release. Is there perhaps a relay like an H-bridge that provides the power in response to the button presses?
    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

• ScottyM
      • Nov 2009

TGTool,

That's a very good thought. I didn't notice a relay, but then, I wasn't really looking for one either. I'll check in the AM.

Thanks.

Comment

• TGTool
        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by ScottyM
        TGTool,

That's a very good thought. I didn't notice a relay, but then, I wasn't really looking for one either. I'll check in the AM.

Thanks.
        Could be solid state, but you can no doubt tell by what lumps wires are going to.
        "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

• ScottyM
          • Nov 2009

As luck would have it, an electrician buddy of mine is coming by the shop tommorow. I can get him to take a look.

Comment

• saltmine
            • Nov 2008

I bought a Habor Freight 1 ton chain hoist 36 years ago. We've used it quite a bit over the years, never had a problem with it. Looks like it's going to outlast me. Fortunately, I gave it to my nephew, and it's hanging in his garage, still working.
            No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

• CCWKen
              • Jan 2003

Those things are cheap enough. Throw that one in the trash and buy another. If you get a couple of years of service out of it, they're a good deal. I've been using the 1300lb version for going on six years.

Comment

• TRX
                • May 2008

Take it apart and see if anything looks wonky. It's already broken, right? You can't hurt it any more.

Comment

• wierdscience
                  • Jan 2003

"Harbor Frieght" there's the problem right there

If it's doing a reverse and a slow decent,then most likley the motor isn't even starting.
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                  X