Victim of metal prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victim of metal prices

Monday morning, no phone, and hence no internet.

Spent a couple of days wondering if I'd dug up my cables before reading the local paper and discovering that thieves had ripped out a few hundred yards of phone cabling for the copper, taking down several thousand phones from around my area. Must have been ruinous for small businesses.

Idiot BT couldn't be bothered to tell anyone, of course.

Finally back up this evening.

But this could happen anywhere. You can't have bobbies posted at every telephone junction box. This is something you have to deal with using the threat of sentencing.

Maybe there should be a stiffer sentence for theft that results in loss of services to the public. I hear trains have been stopped when signalling cabling is nicked. too.

Net result is that I've spent a lot of time in the shop, and the kids have been unable to indulge in their poassion for Facebook, so there has been a sunny side to my family's misfortune.
    Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Richard they are stealing it from besides the railway lines too ,costing the companies and the government ie you and I millions.They should act very tough on the buyers scrap merchants who know this is dodgy stuff they are buying a search should be made of their premises and they should be sent to jail for buying. without them there would be no point instealing it. Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Stiffer sentences, how dare you say that, wash your mouth out with soapy water and say 100 hail Mary's. Seriously I heard just this very day some young female on the radio trotting out the old argument that it isn't the thieves fault that they steal, it's to do with lack of education, lack of opportunities etc, etc! Of course she went on to say prison wasn't the answer but it sounds good to me.:
      Tony

Comment

Here in oregon they have made a law the requires you to have a physical address where the check will be sent to you about a week later. Its made things a little tougher.

Comment

We caught a guy redhanded putting our scrap into the back of his car in our yard.Took his car keys and phoned the police.When they finally turned up after the second phone call they interviewed us and him.Then decided that as it was only £200`s worth it was not worth charging him as it wouldn`t go to court due to the low value.
          Their next statement was that this sort of crime is particularly rife in the immediate area due to a major new scrapyard opening.They were less than pleased when I told them it might also be due to their policy of telling thieves it was ok to steal up to £200 worth.

Comment

They have been going nuts around here ..man hole covers ..even metal sandwich boards belonging to cafes..

My friend Alwyn had his swarth pinched from outside his works..plus two buggered wheel barrows ..they didn't take to the stuff out of the bins ..they took the bins with it

think its the travelers ..gypsies .

or it could be the jobless ..who cant find a job ..and need to feed their families

or druggies

all the best.markj

Comment

Originally posted by Mark McGrath
              We caught a guy redhanded ***
              A bit of vigilante justice seems appropriate

Comment

Sentencing

If you think you're not going to get caught, the sentence doesn't matter.

Comment

If you had concealed gun carry legal there it would probably slow down at least in your yard when your home. I'd gladly add some lead to their scrap collection.
                  Last edited by flylo; 05-13-2011, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Folks you are not alone,, this theft is going on everywere.
                    It will get worse as scrap prices continue to go up.
                    Neighbour had a cast iron bathtub stolen from his farm last weekend, an old one been there for 15 years, he was using it for a water trough for his livestock. Thing weighed about 300lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Farr
                      A bit of vigilante justice seems appropriate
                      Bob,that`s the way it always used to be,but now I`m in my sixties I`ve got to watch what I`m doing.Although there are other ways.

Comment

Tougher sentencing?

40 LASHES IN THE TOWN SQUARE

I sends a message,costs nothing to implement(I would gladly donate the whipping post and whip) and delivers actual punishment instead of worthless government leech based child sitting.

Several months ago I had about $3,000 worth of stuff stolen.Some power tools etc and also "scrap metal"That scrap metal was the transmission and radiator out of my truck

I had pulled the engine for a rebuild and when I decided to put the engine back in the first thing I noticed was the missing tranny.The cameras across the street at the local church weren't on enough of an angle to get a shot of who took it so it was a loss.Probably just as good since if could have seen them they would have turned up dead from lead poisoning shortly there after
                        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

A bit off topic but concerning the theft of fuel, friend of mine was loosing diesel from his heavy equipment, so he locked the caps, then left a full 5 gallon can beside the machine, along with a couple of old wrenches and the fuel in the can he doctored up with a good dose of sugar, well stirred up.
                          Two mornings later,, yup the fuel and can had been taken.

Comment

Originally posted by macona
                            Here in oregon they have made a law the requires you to have a physical address where the check will be sent to you about a week later. Its made things a little tougher.
                            Requiring a check payment, DL, and vehicle tag was part of the fix around these parts. They also put up a hotline with a reward for information leading to arrests and convictions in utility thefts.

It still happens, but less than it used to. Stealing condensers off of office buildings on the weekends or churches on the weekdays seem to be popular.

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch
                              A bit off topic but concerning the theft of fuel, friend of mine was loosing diesel from his heavy equipment, so he locked the caps, then left a full 5 gallon can beside the machine, along with a couple of old wrenches and the fuel in the can he doctored up with a good dose of sugar, well stirred up.
                              Two mornings later,, yup the fuel and can had been taken.
                              We used to do that with gas cans,they wouldn't take the cans,but would steal the gas.It was easy to find out who was doing it.Filled the cans with one gallon of gas and four of water.Modern fuel injectors don't tolerate water very well turns out
                              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                              X