spray to stop rusting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spray to stop rusting

what is a good spray to spray on tools and parts sitting in the shop to keep them from rusting?

thanks Jerry
    www.vandeusenracing.com

For spray I use BoeShield T-9.

For non-spray I brush on LPS3.

Steve

Comment

I use Rust Check.

Comment

LPS-2 (I spray it on)
        LPS-3 for long term storage (brush on, as mentioned above)
        Mike
        WI/IL border, USA

Comment

thanks for info were is a good place to order online?
          thanks Jerry
          www.vandeusenracing.com

Comment

Originally posted by twinenginekart
            thanks for info were is a good place to order online?
            thanks Jerry
            internet would be the best place
            My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Comment

www.mcmaster.com

Comment

LPS 2, but I also make a mix of mineral spirits and hydraulic oil or WD40 and hydraulic oil.
                CCBW, MAH

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP
                  LPS-2 (I spray it on)
                  LPS-3 for long term storage (brush on, as mentioned above)
                  2X on the LPS products. I purchase mine from Travers Tool, but you may want to compare prices with McMaster, MSC, Enco, and some of the other on-line stores.

Comment

I like simple old WD40 myself. If something becomes rusty despite the WD40, its either time to sell, or time to find more uses for it. Regardless, the minutes or hours spent polishing is punishment for staying away so long.
                    "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Originally posted by justanengineer
                      I like simple old WD40 myself. If something becomes rusty despite the WD40, its either time to sell, or time to find more uses for it. Regardless, the minutes or hours spent polishing is punishment for staying away so long.
                      I've had a couple of gunsmiths say that WD40 is one of their favorite oils, not because they use it but because they get more business from it than for any other simple reason. It's not really a lubricant, any oil will do a better job. It's not a protectant, again any oil will work better. It's not much of anything other than a cleaner (and, I will admit, it does a nice job when cutting aluminum). It will gum things up if sprayed lightly and left to dry repeatedly.

In my shop I have various stages of rust protection. First is simple way and spindle oil - anything that gets that on a regular basis is protected. Instruments are regularly treated with instrument oil and are kept in areas kept slightly above exterior temperature with "GoldenRod" heaters (these are 12W heaters used to lower relative humidity in RV closets and such). After that it's Starrett M1, it's basically a kerosene with a light oil and waxy fraction. Anything with that on it is good for a year or so. For anything left alone longer than that I use LPS-3, it leaves a greasy/waxy coating that's proof against rust.

Comment

Starret M1 oil has lanolin in it. After the oil evaporates the lanolin coats the metal as a rust barrier, it works very well, even on mill table tops etc.
                        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

DO NOT USE WD40!!!! It attracts water and your tools will rust. Just plain automatic transmission fluid will work. Marvel Mystery oil is good.

"Ashes to ashes. Dust to dust. If it wasn't for Fords, my tools would rust!"

Comment

I have an old Harrison L5 as my "dirty job lathe" which trys its best to rust up during the winter..
                            To stop any rust developing I usually give it a coat of diesel mixed with some way oil...which has stopped any rust occuring for the last 20 winters odd.

Rob

Comment

I've been trying all kinds of stuff and lately I am liking this stuff. It stays where you spray it and covers for weeks and weeks without drying up. It does thicken up after spraying and I don't think it would work to good for hand tools and whatnot because they would be slimy. But for the lathe, mill, any bigger metal surfaces it works great and is like half the price of lp2-3.

Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X