Just bought some new toys.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought some new toys.......

Hi, an on-line auction brought me these two beasts that I would have to go and pickup next week.

Anyone willing to give it a shot as to home much each one weights?

The lathe is only 40 kilometers from my cottage, the other almost 350 near the north/east side of Ontario Lake.

I cannot sleep well now...thinking of how the heck I am going to get these two at home! Worse come to worse I just pay for them and leave them there....LOL
    The lathe $750+tax, the mill $102.00+tax.

Just wish me luck and the creator illuminates me! And after that how to get them in the basement.......!

Given the bargains you got on the purchase prices, just pay a rigger to get them into your shop for you.

Comment

If you have a problem..it will be with the mill..

The lathe looks fairly lightweight...probably in the 600kg range.

The mill on the other hand looks every bit of 1500-2000kg (4000lbs).

Rob

Comment

The Pedersen is heavy---

I have a virtually identical one, except it is green, in my basement. Bought it from a high school,got a tilt and load to drop it in my driveway, borrowed an A frame and stripped it, bed went through a basement window and down a wood ramp, the rest in about 5 main pieces down the stairs hung on an eye bolt fixed to a girder I put in the attic over the stairs.Lovely strong machine.Beware, the bolts are Whitworth thread! Do not lose any! Need any more info call me 905 427 8688. Located in Pickering. regards David Powell.

Comment

Disassemble them both as much as possible and work with smaller / lighter pieces. The mill will be every bit of 4000 lb. ( probably closer to 5000). If you are going to move these yourself, You will need a stout helper, maybe an engine hoist or collapsable gantry and chain fall, a tilting flatbed trailer, some pipe rollers ( read 3/4 schedule 80 pipe by 4 ft length, 8 each), a pinch / crow bar, a 10 ton bottle jack with oak blocking, a winch to pull the machine onto the trailer and possibly some pieces of plate to roll them on if the ground is not paved.

Comment

This is what I would do. Get 6 pieces of 1/2" round CRS 4 ft long. Get several boards, small pieces, 2x4, 2x6, 1/4" plywood, 1/2" plywood, pry bar, comealong, chains, ropes, and rent a heavy duty low trailer.

Use the 3 ft pry bar to lift the equipment off the floor then roll 1 of the 4 ft long 1/2" round rods under there. Get another grip on the equipment with the pry bar lift it slide more rods under there. Once you have the machine setting on 4 rods you can push it across the cement floor like it is on wheels. Put the 2 extra rods out front once you roll up on them pick up the 2 rods in the back and move them to the front. You can push a 5 ton machine across the floor all by yourself. A long pry bar will lift several tons.

Back the trailer as close as you can to the machine and push the machine as close as you can to the trailer. Let the air out of the trailer tires to lower it. Use the pry bar to lift the machine slide the boards under the machine. This is a little slow for 1 person with 2 people it is much faster. Each time you lift the machine 1/2" with the ply bar slide more plywood sheets under there. When it gets up about 1.5" you can slide a 2x4 or 2x6 block under there. It might take 30 minutes to lift the machine 1/2" at a time up high enough to get above the back edge of the trailer. Use the come along to pull the machine onto the trailer be sure to use your 1/2" rod again for rollers. Remove the rods and tie the machine down.

I have moved my Bridgeport mill, Brown and Sharp surface grinder and lathe several times like this. I can load all 3 machines and have them tied down in 1 hr 30 minutes. Unloading is the same way do it all in reverse.
            Last edited by gary350; 05-15-2011, 10:09 AM.

Comment

New equipment to me.....

Originally posted by David Powell
              I have a virtually identical one, except it is green, in my basement. Bought it from a high school,...
              Thanks David, I also got the two items from High School shops auctioned. I will let you know when I bring it and I will post some pictures too.
              Now I am thinking of just building a little shed outside and placing them both there/ I am 72, so some time in the future they will have to take both machines for the basement to sale the cottage....hummmm....thinking.......

Thanks to all for the suggestions; and I can see that I was in the same ball park of ideas to bring it home. I will have a neighbor helping, we are both seniors (age) so maybe an engine hydraulic lifter will help. I need to research the rental.

Wilson...,,,Muskoka area... any machinist around here?

Comment

Hmm. Maybe what you need is a trailer that you can bolt both of them to, then just park the trailer near your shop and put some walls around it and a roof over it. I am only partially kidding-
                I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I'd put the lathe at 1200 or so, more with the stand, the mill around 3000lbs....like Mrsleepy says, the mill will be the one to cause trouble. If you're not used to moving this stuff, consider hiring pros. it'll cost, but heck you got a great deal to start with. Some experienced guys will pipe up you can do it yourself, maybe you can, but that mill is too heavy for common trailers or trucks a guy might own and isn't the one for a couple of seniors to learn on.

If you're looking to control costs, start networking and find a local guy with a crane truck and work out a cash price. You'll have to study up on how to rig it, its not hard, as a crane truck guy isn't a machinery moving guy. He will though have the equiopment to lift and transport it, the hardest bits.

350km is a problem; fees for hiring a truck will be based on distance. Please do figure out how to retrieve it; if you don't the school having gone through the protocol and been paid will likely scrap it . or at least advertise it so others could grab it

Comment

I was going to suggest hiring a flatbed tow truck guy, but you might have to call around to get a good deal on that since they charge by the mile (or km). I just moved a lathe this way (with help from guys here for advice) but that was only 32 miles away from my house.

I'd consider professional help unless you have a friend or two, lots of rigging materials and alot of patience.

It might help ALOT to rent a trailer from an industrial rental company that has a tilt function and either has a winch or a place to attach one. Even if you get it loaded for you at the place you pick it up (i.e. fortruck) you will have a nicer time getting it off the trailer if you can winch it down in a controlled fashion off of the tilt ramp. Don't skimp on the trailer capacity either, you have a long way to take these things you don't want to bust a tire or Axle and get killed. Oh yeah, get alot of beefy ratched straps, like 10,000lb capacity ones.

KEJR

Comment

I have the same standard modern lathe, its around 1400lbs
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/csprecision

Comment

Working...
                      X