Lead Nut Holder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lead Nut Holder

My old Index mill, Model 40, has worn lead nuts and although they are available from Index the cost is prohibitive. I was able to obtain generic bronze lead nuts from another company for much less and needed to make somethign to hold them. This is what I came up with.

The block bolts in place of the original and the new bronze inset is clamped in place by the two cross bolts closing the bore.

Later, when necessary, I can loosen the clamp bolts, split the nut in half and separate the two halves slightly to take up slack that develops as the nut or screw wears, re-tighten the clamp bolts and be up and running with little effort.

Yes, nice solution and good looking execution. And if you had a hole straight down the slit right in the middle of the top you might use a rod with a wedge end to spread the nut halves before retightening.
    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

You could also make it like a BRPT nut broach a key way in the holder, mill a key way in the nut so when you split it, it doesn't turn and lock up the screw, you could make a counter bore and threaded hole in the end and use a cap screw to take up the wear in the nut when it becomes necessary. JMHO

Comment

Originally posted by duckman
        You could also make it like a BRPT nut broach a key way in the holder, mill a key way in the nut so when you split it, it doesn't turn and lock up the screw, you could make a counter bore and threaded hole in the end and use a cap screw to take up the wear in the nut when it becomes necessary. JMHO
        I like this idea! I had thought of spreading the two halves to take up slack but I guess it really doesn't matter, pushing them closer together would do the same thing. I have plenty of room for such a setup. I'll file that idea away for future reference. Thanks!

Comment

Leadscrew Nut

Or you could simply slit one side of the nut to match the holder and squeeze it together to adjust or take up wear. I would key the side opposite the slit to keep it from turning. As long as the threads don't bottom out, you would still have adjustment. This method is not as good as some already mentioned, but it is easier to do and would work.

Comment

Working...
          X