Hand taps!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand taps!

I feel real dumb. I just found out that my set of hand taps has actually three taps to make one thread.

You start with the tap with one ring around the shank then go to the tap with two rings and finish with the tap with no ring.

All this time I thought the first two taps were just bad taps because if I was tapping a 8mm hole and used either of the first two taps the bolt didn't fit.

These are German taps.

I thought the set I bought just included three taps of each size. When I think of the time and agravation over the last year using this tap set I lose what little hair I have left.

I had to go through the trash and dig out the taps with the rings on them.

Did I mention I feel pretty stupid!
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Ahh you must have serial taps. Very nice...
    A few examples-
    http://www.ferg.es/English/MachosMano.htm

What brand are they?

Steve

Comment

I like the link to the taps with the pilot nose, very useful for hand tapping.
      Wonder if they are available in UK?

Peter
      I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Comment

They are called :
        1.taper tap
        2.plug tap
        3.bottoming tap
        Even if they are metric

Comment

Not so a taper tap has the correct size thread at the end if you read the web page shown in post 2 it says that no 1 and no 2 taps are not full thread!

Peter
          I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Comment

Serial (sometimes called progressive?) taps are designed to cut tough materials by only cutting some of the depth of thread on each tap. The amount on each tap is designed to be about 1/3 of the effort for each tap, so the work is spread out equally over the 3 taps (or however many taps are in the set).

I've seen them more often in the ACME taps than in 'normal' taps - larger ACME threads can be a real effort when trying to hand tap, and cutting that effort in a third can be a real advantage. Trying to cut a 1-8 ACME 2 start thread with a single pass tap would be quite the challenge. I've got a 1/2-8 ACME 2 start tap set in the shop, so they appeared on the other end as well, likely because the root of the tap might not have survived the tapping force of the full thread.

Many ACME taps are made in a 'tandem' configuration with the front section of the tap cutting half the thread, a blank region, then the finish section of the tap - sort of a 2 serial tap set joined in the middle.

Comment

Count me among those with over 30 years of machining experience who had never seen or even heard of serial taps until recently. It was another thread here that their existence was revealed to me.

I think their usefulness (and certainly their popularity) is waning in the face of today's high-performance taps that can get the job "done in one" in virtually any material.

Comment

Probably correct, PixMan. Also the simplicity of thread-milling with today's CNC machines. That said, there are still plenty of great uses for them in the home, manual machine shop---as mentioned already, especially for larger female ACME sizes that are also too small to comfortably cut in the lathe.

Comment

Working...
                X