Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the urging of one of my customers in Toronto, I have purchased a web-cam and downloaded Skype which is a free program that lets you speak with anyone/anywhere in the world who is similarly equipped and see them in real time. It seems very weird and Buck Rogerish to me, but it will be valuable as a business tool to discuss machines over the internet. I can also display whatever is on the screen of my computer, or hand drawn sketches, and the customer can similarly show me what he is talking about. I have always had the thought lurking in the back of my head that only perverts would use this type of equipment, however, now I get to see if it will be of value to cut down on the travel back and forth to customers who are far away from me. Customers are all whining like hell about paying my travel time to their offices, and I am whining like hell about the cost of gasoline, so there may be a big benefit here. If not, then I was probably right about the perverts, and will send a picture of my fat hairy butt to the customer that suggested this in the first place!!!---Brian
    Brian Rupnow
    Design engineer
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Your right about the perverts because only because humans can figure out how to pervert anything...Absolutely anything.

Comment

Bryan,
      I use Skype when I travel in Europe, works great! $.06 per minute is cheap and I can call almost anywhere, calls to Skype computers are free.
      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by jstinem
        Your right about the perverts because only because humans can figure out how to pervert anything...Absolutely anything.
        Rule 34.....

Comment

I use it to to talk to (and see) my family back in Australia, not quite as good as being there, but better than the 20+ hours of flying

Steve.

Comment

I find it invaluable to talk to my daughter in the states.
            Her mum and sister do too( calls lasting 2.5 hours are not uncommon)
            Recently a road trip LA to Baltimore was planned on skype ( all afternoon job)
            Would not want to try that on a telephone

Comment

Originally posted by jstinem
              Well, considering that Microsoft is buying Skype for $8.5 Billion, I think you'll find a different kind of perversion
              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I have used Skype, but it is mainly a personal tool. There are many others that are more business oriented which include file sharing and the ability to view another's computer screen as if it were your own. Use them everyday at work and they are invaluable. If it works for you and is free, go for it.
                "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

When you set up Skype go to the privacy settings and accept calls only from your call list or you will be getting calls from an unfortunate 26 yr old American girl stuck in England after her father died leaving her millions and she needs someone who will help and she will give you a few million if only you will give her your bank account number. Phew!

Other than that it works good and $3.00/mo for all the long distance calls you can make is a great deal.

That may change tho with our boy bill running the show.
                  Guaranteed not to rust, bust, collect dust, bend, chip, crack or peel

Comment

Microsoft just bought them for something like 8.5 billion.
                    --
                    Tom C
                    ... nice weather eh?

Comment

Skype works well.

Skype works well, doesn't use a lot of bandwidth and unless you are trying to comnnect with cell phones or landlines it is free. I use it to talk with my son in the Army in Korea, my dad in Ohio and an old friend in NY.

What kind of webcam did you get - My dad found that Skype doesn't behave very well with the first one he got. I use an old PS2 webcam and it works well for video and sound. I also have a USB headset that came with Rosetta Stone that works well also. Skype does some really cool software noise cancelling so you don't have to worry about echo or feedback through the speakers. We can carry on conversations from anywhere in our large living room.

Comment

Oh No!

I sure hope your customers like the Skype thing Brian. The thought of your butt filling the screen made my computer crash! I had to reboot.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Skype works good I talk to my son in England ever week you can send files to .
                          Richard

Comment

In the past we always had a little Monday morning meeting between the sales team and the service guys. It was getting tough to get everyone together regularly and with gas prices getting high we now hold them from our homes on Skype. We have had a couple technical glitches but other than that I like it. We don't do the video thing because that seems weird but other than that I like it.

Comment

Okay---I found out today that even with the "free" Skype, I can "share" my computer screen with whoever I am talking to. Since I design in 3D, that works great, because I can rotate the model and show the person I am talking to exactly what aspect of the job I want to discuss.---Brian
                              Brian Rupnow
                              Design engineer
                              Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X