No announcement yet.

New Shop lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My smaller shop is 18x30 with and 8 foot white ceiling. I used an illumination app on-line to calculate the layout and number fixtures. I don't recall the Fc but at desk height it's about the same as an office environment. i.e., bright.

I had 12 dual tube 32W T8 fixtures -not all bulbs and color temps are the same output, so you need to choose a bulb for the calcs - arranged as 4 rows 3 fixtures per row.

6 lights on each of 2 banks switched for high/low.

It's very nice My other shop/garage is about 25x30, 10 foot celing, lights at 9'6" and has 12 dual 40 watt tube. That shop is positively dull by comparison...
    Last edited by lakeside53; 05-23-2011, 01:32 AM.

Comment

My shop is 21 x 16 and has 12 4' tubes. The energy costs aren't as bad as you would think because half of them are always burnt out. I hate florescent tubes.
      The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Is the there a reason why everyone here is using 4' tubes instead of 8'?

Comment

Originally posted by Abner
          Is the there a reason why everyone here is using 4' tubes instead of 8'?
          Convenience, most probably. Eight footers are not all that common at the local hardware store and are a pain in the butt to get rid of.
          Also if they are like me and scrounged their fixtures than that is what the fixtures I got had in them.
          Dan.

Comment

Originally posted by Lu47Dan
            Convenience, most probably. Eight footers are not all that common at the local hardware store and are a pain in the butt to get rid of.
            Also if they are like me and scrounged their fixtures than that is what the fixtures I got had in them.
            Dan.
            I managed pick up the 4' fixtures for my shop for less than $10 a piece NIB. That's pretty hard to beat. It was also a lot easier for me to install them all by myself. 8' of anything starts to get harder to handle when you don't have a helper. Screw gun, screws, and then an 8' fixture would've been more balancing than I wanted to deal with!

Comment

Working...
            X