Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rant: Poor Quality tools, junk knock offs

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rant: Poor Quality tools, junk knock offs

    Recently I posted a request for instructions to a Gamet/Enco 222-1100 type Automatic Boring Head. According to what I have read the original heads made in France were very high quality. The head I have I bought several years ago at a price that seemed very good and the head was new in the box from another well known tool supplier (not Enco). It seemed that is was being surplussed out by a company that was going out of business, hence the good price. The other day I finally got around to taking a close look at it and putting it to use. Turns out it's a knock off of the Gamet head, no country of origin printed on it anywhere but I've read on this forum about some that were made in India. What crummy workmanship went into this thing! On the outside it looks great but inside the screw is bent, the ratchet that pins to the screw looks like it was carved rather than machined and has the cross drilled holes where it is pinned to the screw drilled twice, both times in the wrong place. The pawl for the release of the automatic feed looks like it was made on a bench grinder by a three year old. Well, not to offend three year olds, maybe not that good.
    Since I already have money invested in this thing the only thing to do is try to "improve" it. I may contact the original marketer and see about buying the parts that are bad, but am concerned that replacements, if available, may be just as bad. I can make a new screw but the issue comes in that the screw head is a hex key type and I have no way to make that type head. (any suggestions would be welcome) I can make a new pawl as well but may just use the one I have since it works, for the time being.
    On the plus side, during my search for instructions I learned that Enco was able to supply some and their customer service was very good. The original seller attempted to get instructions but was unable to supply them. Funny thing is that I've heard that the two are associated. Fortunately, another HSM member is sending me some pdf files of instructions too. Hopefully they will be better than the barely readable ones I already have.
    The lesson from all this: Before I buy anything in tooling I will ask on this site fr opinions and get educated. Meanwhile, I have yet another project for my hobby, making parts for a knock off boring head.

  • #2
    If you decide to make that screw, you can make a socket head by rotary broaching. The tooling for that is megabux, but you can find stuff on ebay and/or make your own. I recall seeing someone's site who had made a rotary broach on a surface grinder and it worked well...
    Ian

    Comment


    • #3
      here you go:

      http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/To...achmaking.html

      http://www.docsmachine.com/projects/...oach/rb01.html
      Ian

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by firbikrhd1
        Recently I posted a request for instructions to a Gamet/Enco 222-1100 type Automatic Boring Head. According to what I have read the original heads made in France were very high quality. The head I have I bought several years ago at a price that seemed very good and the head was new in the box from another well known tool supplier (not Enco). It seemed that is was being surplussed out by a company that was going out of business, hence the good price. The other day I finally got around to taking a close look at it and putting it to use. Turns out it's a knock off of the Gamet head, no country of origin printed on it anywhere but I've read on this forum about some that were made in India. What crummy workmanship went into this thing! On the outside it looks great but inside the screw is bent, the ratchet that pins to the screw looks like it was carved rather than machined and has the cross drilled holes where it is pinned to the screw drilled twice, both times in the wrong place. The pawl for the release of the automatic feed looks like it was made on a bench grinder by a three year old. Well, not to offend three year olds, maybe not that good.
        Since I already have money invested in this thing the only thing to do is try to "improve" it. I may contact the original marketer and see about buying the parts that are bad, but am concerned that replacements, if available, may be just as bad. I can make a new screw but the issue comes in that the screw head is a hex key type and I have no way to make that type head. (any suggestions would be welcome) I can make a new pawl as well but may just use the one I have since it works, for the time being.
        On the plus side, during my search for instructions I learned that Enco was able to supply some and their customer service was very good. The original seller attempted to get instructions but was unable to supply them. Funny thing is that I've heard that the two are associated. Fortunately, another HSM member is sending me some pdf files of instructions too. Hopefully they will be better than the barely readable ones I already have.
        The lesson from all this: Before I buy anything in tooling I will ask on this site fr opinions and get educated. Meanwhile, I have yet another project for my hobby, making parts for a knock off boring head.
        How about some pics of these parts ..so we can all have a laugh.

        maybe the screw can be replaced with something else

        i brought this old chuck back to life with these





        after as good as new



        broken one beside a machined new one



        all the best.markj
        Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 05-19-2011, 12:13 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          May I ask if this is the "Vertex" branded Wolhaupter knock-off?

          Comment


          • #6
            I know nothing of the Vertex/Wolhaupter boring head, but am quite familiar with the Indian version of the Gamet boring head. The Gamet and Wolhaupter heads are quite different in design and construction.

            ENCO originally imported and rebadged the Gamet head and they were very good heads. If I recall, they lacked some of the Gamet features but were still excellent quality. Fast forward a couple of years and ENCO switched to the Indian knock off of the Gamet, which is almost totally unuseable.

            It might be possible to remanufacture it into a workable head, but it would be quite a project.
            Jim H.

            Comment


            • #7
              [quote=firbikrhd1]The head I have I bought several years ago at a price that seemed very good and the head was new in the box from another well known tool supplier (not Enco). It seemed that is was being surplussed out by a company that was going out of business, hence the good price.
              quote]

              now you know the reason for the "good price"

              The pawl for the release of the automatic feed looks like it was made on a bench grinder by a three year old.


              Sadly, It probably was,
              they start in the sweat shops from 3yrs, by the age of 5 they can be doing 10 hr shifts, but hey - thats what gives us cheap goods & makes bankers rich.

              Nothing much has changed since Dickens, except the squaller has been moved offshore

              john
              John

              I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by JCHannum
                The Gamet and Wolhaupter heads are quite different in design and construction.
                Thanks, I didn't know that. I've seen pictures of both, but I never really looked that close.

                Comment


                • #9
                  On the bright side, the manufacturer is no longer making boring heads... now they are making toasters.

                  I feel your pain, I've been so disgusted by cheap quality...now I save my ducketes and buy quality.

                  Just placed an order with Enco, spent 3 x the import price to get a Starrett, but I want it to work the first time, everytime, for always.

                  V/R

                  Mike
                  Mike Hunter

                  www.mikehunterrestorations.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Mike Hunter
                    Just placed an order with Enco, spent 3 x the import price to get a Starrett, but I want it to work the first time, everytime, for always.
                    Check your tool very carefully for country of origin when it arrives as Starrett has offshored at least some of its manufacturing to China.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Dr Stan
                      Check your tool very carefully for country of origin when it arrives as Starrett has offshored at least some of its manufacturing to China.
                      I always check my tool very carefully, before, during & after use, occasionally the tip needs rubbing with a stone to clean crud off.

                      Still works well after yrs of use, made in UK.

                      john
                      John

                      I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by jugs
                        I always check my tool very carefully, before, during & after use, occasionally the tip needs rubbing with a stone to clean crud off.

                        Still works well after yrs of use, made in UK.

                        john
                        I hire that job out...no DIY here, eh?
                        Location: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Dr Stan
                          Check your tool very carefully for country of origin when it arrives as Starrett has offshored at least some of its manufacturing to China.
                          Yup,lots of Starrett stuff is being made in China,holesaws come to mind.

                          Pretty soon the quality of a product won't be an issue,there won't be any quality products to choose.
                          I just need one more tool,just one!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The only country I absolutely refuse to buy from is India. I have never gotten any quality out of an Indian tool, and can only claim "getting what I paid for" on a couple things I got on clearance for pennies on the dollar, fully expecting them to last only a few rounds.

                            Outside of my Craftsmen and Kobalt hand tools, my best tools are, surprisingly, from China. They are fully capable of doing a good job, if they're supplied with good materials and workers. Some companies actually do that, when they can be bothered to.

                            Everything I've ever gotten from the UK has developed wiring problems or oil leaks, which is impressive when I've never personally owned a British vehicle.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Recently I got a usb x200 microscope (webcam+macro lens) NOT a lab unit but just right for the job I wanted, from Hong Kong via ebay - £26 inc p&p.

                              My local computer store (£8 fuel away) sells the same identical unit in identical box (but with a British flag sticker) for £99.95, and another company is doing it for £89 +p&p +20% vat .

                              So who's the ripoff merchant then ????

                              NOT the Chinese

                              john
                              John

                              I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X