Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 jaw combination chuck ???

Hey guys

Who has seen of used some thing like this.

K62 Series Four-Jaw Combination chucks
    The chuck have structure features of the self-centering type as well as independent type, which enables the jaws to achieve a self-centering clamping and to be adjusted separately. K62 series chucks are characterized by high accuracy for gripping repeatability. Therefore, it is very helpful in mass processing of irregular shape work pieces. Because there is no need for repetitive adjustment, this saves time to enhance productivity.
    http://www.echinatool.com/k72_fourchuck.htm

I know .....China..crap crap whatever . Don't look at the make but the idea.
    Do they work and what is the downside.

Kobus
    If you are using violence and it does not work, You are not using enough or it is upside down.
    You can always just EDM it...

well the fact that it has hollowed out back ..makes it some what better china crap, can be used on smaller lathes without putting too much stress on the bearings from weight .

i have an old one ..dont think mine is alll the accrate in scroll mode

looked like this when i got it

after taking apart ..cleaning ..putting back together

like this

all the best.markj
    Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 05-20-2011, 09:12 AM.

Comment

btw ..its somewhat of an antique

alkl the best.markj

Comment

Wow well done Mark you did a great job , as we have come to expect from you.Now that's a very good result did you do it electrically with washing soda? Alistair
        Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon
          btw ..its somewhat of an antique

alkl the best.markj
          No not antique......experienced
          How does it compare to a normal 4 jaw?
          Does it solve the 3 jaw easy to setup but 4 jaw more accurate and can grip odd shapes argument?

Kobus
          If you are using violence and it does not work, You are not using enough or it is upside down.

Comment

works well as an independent four jaw, not used it hardly ..so cant comment futher

honestly dont know about antiques ..only the patent marks seem to indicate that its old ..first one says when it was first patented ..second ..last time it was patented ..so indicating was made within ten years after that date ..maybe

all i did was wire brush it...then use scotchbrite on it Alistair .

cast iron does not rust like steel ...cast iron can look evil...but comes up like new with little effort.

all the best.markj

Comment

Originally posted by Westline
              I know .....China..crap crap whatever
              You get crap from anywhere if you cheap out, can't make anything generic out of a label "made in China/PRC".
              Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

I have ordered a combination 8" 4 jaw with the scroll from Bison (made in Poland), hopefully it will work as promised.

jack

http://www.toolmex.com/new/products/...5_418_417&mc=N
                Last edited by platypus2020; 05-20-2011, 01:06 PM.
                jack

Comment

Originally posted by Jaakko Fagerlund
                  You get crap from anywhere if you cheap out, can't make anything generic out of a label "made in China/PRC".
                  Thanks for you great contribution , but have you used one and if so can you look at my Real question again.

Comment

Originally posted by Westline
                    Thanks for you great contribution , but have you used one and if so can you look at my Real question again.
                    You're welcome Yes I've used one for a very short (~50) production run that required turning square bar stock in the lathe. Very useful after dialing in the first piece, but as with any scroll, I would not trust the repeatability to be anything under 0.1 mm TIR.

Comment

I'd worry that a combination chuck would suffer from the adjustment screws on the jaws getting a bit loose,and not giving accurate centering after a while. What's to keep the screws under the jaws from rotating a little once they are used for a while,when you are tightening with the scroll? I wish there was some way of locking those screws until you need to use them independently.

Other than that,they could be a chuck that would do most everything within their capacity.

I have seen real old ones,too. The first I ever saw had 3 jaws,and they could be moved independently or in unison.

There are just a LOT of parts in such chucks that could get a little loose or worn from tightening down. I'd like to hear how one stands up after a year or 2 of use.
                      Last edited by gwilson; 05-20-2011, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gwilson
                        There are just a LOT of parts in such chucks that could get a little loose or worn from tightening down. I'd like to hear how one stands up after a year or 2 of use.
                        Lots of parts? Like two parts more per jaw, the "fixed jaw" or scroll jaw and the screw.

Comment

Those 2 extra parts are subject to wear,metal compression,etc. every time the jaws are tightened. Remember,we are only talking about a thousandth or 2 to make a chuck not accurate enough to be satisfactory as a self centering chuck. That is what concerns me.

Comment

I have a 3 and 4 jaw scroll chuck and a 4 jaw independent.The 4 jaw scroll works great and I use it a lot more than the three jaw scroll .I still say you did a great Job Mark I am impressed with your work.regards Alistair
                            Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

I have bought about 8 or 9 of the Bison 4 jaw scroll chucks over the years. They are often accurate to .001" or less if you don't crash one. Mine is always on my larger lathe. Use collets mostly on the HLVH.

Comment

Working...
                              X