Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Volkswagen Sheeple

The Volkswagen Sheeple
    Its May here, a beautiful afternoon, and as I set out on my back deck, the air is full of big white clouds of what look like dandelion fluff.—It isn’t though. It’s something that comes off the Poplar trees and the Balm of Gilead (Bamagillya) trees at this time of year.
    ----And this takes me back in memory to about 1960 or 1961. I was a kid of about 14, and my uncle Teddy who was 8 years older has an old Volkswagen Beatle. It was a nice little car, and although it had been black when it was new, its life setting outside had weathered the paint color to a rather dull grey.
    ----One of the newest things to hit the hardware stores that year was clear Urethane floor paint. It was one of those new “miracle finishes” that you could paint onto a faded Linoleum or tile floor, and it would make it just like new---restore the shine and was supposed to “stand up” to any amount of foot traffic without wearing through. My grandmother had been to town on a shopping trip, and bought a couple of gallons with her pension cheque. One of my other uncles Jimmy (the one who taught me to drink whiskey and play the fiddle, but that’s another story) had painted Grandmas floor, and the Urethane clearcoat as advertised had restored her old kitchen and living room floor to a “like new” splendor. The only drawback to this paint was that it had to dry for some unreasonably long time, something like 24 hours before you could walk on it.
    There was half a gallon of clear paint left over, and my uncle Teddy thought “Wow!!! If that can make an old faded linoleum floor shine like new, just think what it could do for my car!!!!”----So, he asked Grandma if he could have what was left over. She agreed, so Uncle Ted decided to use it on his old Volkswagen. He painted it on with a brush, and MY GOD---IT WORKED!!!! His old and formerly faded car was restored to the deepest, shiniest, deep gloss, wet-look black that you ever seen.
    Now this was on a Sunday afternoon, and there was dust from traffic travelling by on the dirt road in front of Grandmas house, so Uncle Teddy decided to drive the car (carefully) down behind the house to where there was a large grove of trees, to keep it away from the road dust until the paint dried. He knew the paint wouldn’t be dry enough to drive the car for 24 hours, so he and a friend went away in a friend’s car, and he stayed away that night at his friend’s house.
    Unfortunately, later that day, or during the night, or maybe even early the next morning, all the trees in that grove decided to put out countless pounds of that same fluffy stuff and it all settled into the still wet urethane clearcoat on my uncle’s car.
    Can you just imagine his horror when next day he came home to see his lovely new paint job, and instead seen a vaguely Volkswagen shaped pile of white fluff!!!
    He was angry, and upset, and my uncle Jimmy, never one to let a good quip go by, said “Ted---That’s not a Volkswagen Beatle----it’s a Volkswagen Sheeple!!!” This ALMOST started a fist fight in Grandmas yard, but eventually Uncle Ted cooled off, and with Uncle Jimmy’s help had to sand all the clearcoat off, and repaint the car with a brush.-------------------------------------Brian-May-2011
    Brian Rupnow

Great interesting story Brian, always enjoyable!!

Comment

LOL! Great story, thanks for sharing. I've painted many a vehicle with a brush.

Comment

Many many years ago i painted my old 53 chevy that was blue and white a dark brown with only one Quart of paint, man that stuff covered!!! (Near the end it was getting iffy though if there was going to be enough!!)

(We had to quickly change the colour after a bit of a high speed police chase that i won out on!!)

awwww, those were the days,,, now we,d be in jail big time!!

Comment

Just before one weekend when we were supposed to go racing we got a phone call that the van we were taking wasn't available so my friend Alan decided to use his firms run about van.

This van was very scruffy and we were taking the pi$$ out of it so Alan decided to paint it.

He got a bucket, tipped two tins of paint in it, got a sponge and proceeded to stiple the paint on the van. It had a lovely orange peel effects but half hour later it had flowed out to give a nice smooth shine, no runs and no brush marks.

First time I had ever seen this done and when it was dry I was very impressed.

Since then I have done a few machine cabinets the same way.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I can well believe it Sir John, especially if it was roof paint. I dont know what they used to put in the stuff but it levelled beautifully and it covered well, only a small tin covered a 2.5 litre Riley and there was some left over!

In the same vein, I called around at a friend's house and his wife told me he would be busy that day varnishing the floor in the spare room, so I went through for a look. He had done the preparation and was stirring a big tin of varnish as I came in, "This wont take a moment" he said then tipped the can in the centre of the room and quickly spread the varnish around using a wooden yardstick until he got to the door. "That's it, let's go!". I saw the room a week or so later and you have never seen a better or deeper finish on a wooden floor.

Comment

Working...
            X