No announcement yet.

O/T "Blue" movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just bought a new monitor, 1920 x 1080 resolution that has LED backlighting. HOLY COW! The colour rendition is daylight white and makes my other monitors look like an old sepia print. I had to do quite a bit of fiddling to get the colour balance just right. Without adjustment it was much bluer than my other displays.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Movie theatres have all switched over to Xenon arc projector lamps in the last decade or so. They have a much higher colour temperature than the previous generation of bulbs so it will definitely make the film look bluer. Just wait a bit though and film in theatres will be gone. It is being replaced by all digital projection systems.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Sorry I even posted this apparently no one here has noticed the blue tint, obvious as it is, which is the result of the lens filter they use. I know WHAT is causing it and How it is done what I don't understand is WHY they do it because it gives the movie a totally unnatural look. Did anyone even bother to check the link I posted? Take a look at that frame from "The Ring" and a couple more they have, these are good examples of what I am talking about but as I said it is by no means limited to the horror flicks mentioned on that site.

What I am complaining about is the fact that most movies shot recently appear as if they are being viewed through a pair of blue tinted glasses, sometimes it is so bad it makes the scene appear dark. This tint effect is not always blue, the movie "Green Zone", a movie about Iraq, is shot with an annoying yellow tint to it, not near as bad as most of those in blue but a heck of a long way from natural color too. There is NOTHING wrong with my TV, if there was everything would appear with this problem but older films and videos appear normal.

Ok before anyone gets technical, I know these color differences are done digitally and probably not from an actual filter on a lens but that is the type of effect I mean.
        Last edited by radkins; 05-25-2011, 05:50 PM.

Comment

I agree, radkins. I find the color manipulation to be very distracting when watching movies these days. I think it makes the directors feel like they are "artsy." Either that, or they just have this cool new toy, so they just have to use it. Peter Jackson used massive color correction in the LOTR movies, but he was trying to create an other-wordly feel, and it didn't bother me so much there, except when it was really extreme. I guess all directors want to think that they are Peter Jackson. But in a movie that is portraying the real world as we live in it, it is really disconcerting.

Comment

One example was the movie "Phone booth" where the blue tint was so bad it made the movie seem like it was being viewed through a blue tinted window and for what purpose? What's wrong with natural colors? If they want to play with the coloring why not give us some bright more natural looks and maybe some decent contrast instead of making everything just different shades of the same tint and making the movie dreary looking even when it's supposed to be a bright outdoor scene.

Comment

Radkins, from comments on this forum over the yrs.,I think that a lot of the people posting here either don't even have a tv, or watch one very little. I do have one, but if it is on I probably have it on a news channel, don't even own a dvd player. I have watched so few movies the last few yrs., I had not noticed the blue tint.
              James

Comment

Hmmmmm....... the colour of the film is probably influenced by the preferences of those who made it and that in turn by where they live or the countries they admire.

Lord of The Rings and Avatar are quite possibly influenced by the colours of New Zealand which are, in my opinion, quite different to many parts of the world. There may be a number of reasons for this, for one the natural greenery of NZ is a different shade (or range of shades) than are seen elsewhere, there is very little atmospheric polution at lattitude 45 South, even the alpine areas of NZ are quite close to the sea.

If the greens look too green or the sky the wrong colour blue they might look just right to me, or Sir Peter Jackson.

Comment

Originally posted by radkins
                  Sorry I even posted this apparently no one here has noticed the blue tint, .
                  Yup, so are we it was a bit of a rant, hope you feel better now

Something to cheer you up HERE & blow the blues away.

sorry about the green one & this blue one

john
                  John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger
                    Hmmmmm....... the colour of the film is probably influenced by the preferences of those who made it and that in turn by where they live or the countries they admire.

Naw, it's a plot to get you to consider the heavily blue-shaded light from LED type lamps to be natural..........

Besides, how would anyone know what's right? They don't go outside except to get into their SUVs with tinted windows....... Maybe the movie folks haven't actually been outside for years....

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

The color doesn't bother me nearly so much as the background music (racket, actually) which tends to drown out the dialogue, ...usually just at the most critical moment!

But then I watch so few movies it doesn't matter a lot anyway.
                      Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Yeah, the blue bugs me too but not as much as the yellow-green ("Trans-Siberian") they use to connote sickliness...

Comment

What's wrong with just using natural color? Sometimes I think the excess tinting is to just help hide the phony looking computer generated "Special" effects.

Comment

I've noticed the coloring. Along with the stupid bouncy camera crap and other efects, it gets so I really hate seeing a movie at all.

My view is that movie makers have decided to unanimously fail at covering the lack of good story lines with effects, and compete on a 'my explosions are bigger than yours' basis.

Comment

Filters?

Question for those is the TV industry. In order to save money and not pay people a night pay schedule, are night scenes in the films shot during the day with heavy filters? The film appears to be a night scene but it really was shot in broad daylight. This would make everything have a blue tinge if a very dark blue filter was used to make a night scens out if a scene shot during the day.
                              Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Comment

At least they used to be a long time ago. Some TV shows at least, nowadays I have no idea...

Comment

Working...
                                X