No announcement yet.

Latest project complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evan, "making your own vision real". I could not agree more. Thats what this hobby is all about to me.
    To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

looks good Evan.I had a problem making things that I didnt have a real use for.After I made the hula engine I got a sense of satifaction that I really didnt think I would get.I machine for a living and I still enjoy it.I started the stirling miser and I cant wait to see it run in my hand.Keep it up and motivate others. Jim

Comment

Cool.

Comment

Evan,

One of them would be neat to drive the 100 year old drill press I have. Maybe a lil more rustic lookin, perhaps using the harley cylinders and pistons I have laying around? (too many cfm so it would have to gear up)

David.

Comment

David,

When I feed that engine about 15 psi it cranks at least 3-4000 rpm. Sounds like an outboard motor.
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Nice work Evan, good job!
              Michael

Comment

Nice engine Evan! I like your design. Thanks for sharing them pics.

Bernie

Comment

Hello Evan
                  Nice job! Now how about a wind driven compressor to run the engine.
                  Chuck

Comment

Al
                    I have no trouble getting my ass in gear for someone else, but I seem to have the same problem as you do. I think I am still a little pissed about not being able to work anymore - that sucks when you are a workaholic and all of a sudden you have all this free time - what in hell do you do with it? I am too confused to be motivated. Maybe I am just a dumb ****.

Comment

Nice work, and your introduction to the world of model engineering.
                      There have been a couple of references to making something with no useful function, and beg to differ.
                      Use and function depend upon the builders needs. I have no interest in astronomy, so while the items you have built are very interesting to me from the machining standpoint, and well made and designed, to me they have no useful function.
                      On the other side of the coin, I am very interested in early farm engines and steam engines, and models provide a way of pursuing this interest and understanding the workings of these engines. It also allows me to own representative engines that may not be available, or are too large to have.
                      Your astronomical instruments will have a value to someone when no longer of use to you. They may be sold, or kept in the family. My models will be the same.
                      To my mind, a waste of time is chasing a ball around a field with a couple of sticks, or sitting in front of that blue light consuming beer and potato chips.
                      Enjoy the hobby, and don't worry whether what you are making has any useful function or not. It does in many ways you may not realize.
                      Jim H.

Comment

You have a good point JC. The engine was valuable to me in that I had to figure out the geometry and the valve assembly myself. I now know more about such an engine than I did before.
                        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

For some it's the process, for others the product. I spend my work time making products,.. play time can be for the fun of the process, with the product as a bonus.

Comment

Nice job Evan. If this is the first engine it won't be the last.
                            Frank

Comment

Cool!I remember the first steam engine I built,it was one of those little kits someone gave me,I finally built the little thing and the four or five hours I spent on that were more satisfying than a week off from work.I can't wait to build another,but alas right now I'm to busy
                              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Evan, Nice Job! I beg to differ, having fun does serve a useful purpose. Mentally and physically. Keep having fun and post some more pictures of your projects.
                                Matt

Comment

Working...
                                X