casting stainless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• casting stainless

Is it possible to centrifuge cast with scrap stainless? Similar to casting gold or silver for jewelry. In other words, melt it down in a crucible with a torch and fire it into a mould.

It can be done but it would be good to know the alloy. Not all alloys are suitable for investment casting. I found a list:

http://www.wisconsinprecision.com/alloy.htm

Also, how do you plan on melting it? A regular oxy/A torch won't be able to melt a significant amount.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 01-14-2004).]
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Isn't sturm Ruger one of the best stainless investment casting outfits existing?

David

Comment

What are you trying to cast? For non-critical (non-structural) items, you can cast SS at home (shop). The problem is heat control and cooling too fast. You'll need a good furnace/forge with temp control and you'll need to preheat your mold.

Sounds like you're prepared to spend some bucks so either farm it out or do it right from the start. Depending on what you're making, forging may be a better route.

Comment

You also need an inert atmosphere i.e. argon,otherwise you get a pile of crumbly crap that used to be stainless
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Casting stainless/ non precious alloy should be no problem in a broken arm centrifuge. You can also cast the metal using a vacuum pressure casting machine. If your part is small: ie: 3 inch square or less, you can use various non beryllium alloys used in the dental field to fabricate partial dentures. The metal is inexpensive, non tarnishing, non-magnetic and a bear to machine. Your part can be pre-fabricated using machinable wax or lexan(clean non-ash, no residue). The investment should be a high heat, carbonless material burning out at 900 degrees centigrade. Slow rise to heat and holding for at least 60 minutes. Spruing the pattern should be into the thickest part and an ample reserve allowed for the button. Metal shrinks when cooling and has to draw from the reserve sprue former.
            Aloha,
            Bill

Comment

What I want to cast is some jewelry parts for firearms. These are purely decorative and small. I was going to use a broken arm centrafuge and the lost wax process. Melting was my problem but I was wondering if I could use an electric furnace for this without having to get into submerging the metal in some inert gas? I have a fair supply of stainless in my shop but the dental metal sounds like the right material.

Comment

Working...
              X