Teeth backward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teeth backward

I thought you guys might get a kick out of this, a buddy of mine came by this morning after returning from Harbor Freight with a new blade (a Morse) for his 4 1/2" bandsaw but according to him it was the wrong one and he wanted to borrow one from me until he could go back and exchange it. He was grumbling about them selling him the wrong blade even though the saw came from there, seems it fit ok but the darn teeth were turned backward! I told him he had mistakenly picked up a blade for a "left hand" saw and he replied "that's what I was thinking too" but then he complained that it was not marked either way on the package. I took the blade inside the shop where he could not see me and flipped it over and handed it back to him, I told him to just keep that one since I could use a "left hand" blade I would just swap with him. He left happy and I got a grin out of the deal but I have yet to tell him he went home with the same blade he brought over.

Reminds me of the POS Jeep Cherokee 1985 vintage. Water pump went
    out at about 35k miles, dealer replaced and as I drove home not
    3 miles out temp gauge went into redline. Drove it back and left it.
    5 days later they called and said it was fixed: story was the impeller
    in the rebuilt WP was put on backwards. Took them 5 days to figure it out.
    Steve

Comment

I saw a guy disassemble a compressor pulley from the pump because it was blowing in the wrong direction (the pulley is also the fan) because the pump was turning backward after he replaced the motor. Someone told him the pump would work in either direction but since the fan blades on the pulley was blowing air in the wrong direction the pump was overheating, he brought the pulley/fan over and wanted to know if I could weld up the center hole and bore a new taper in it so he could turn it around. When I tried to explain that turning the fan around would not make any difference he just laughed at me so I asked him if flipping a nut over would change a right hand thread to a left hand?

Comment

A bloke I used to work with had a Renault 5 (Le-Car) as his first car. The gearbox siezed and he had the Renault dealership put in a new transaxle. I have him a lift to collect the car. As I glanced over the bill I noticed that they'd fitted the gearbox from a 999cc pushrod engine and the car was a 998cc OHC (or something similar, it was a long time ago). I asked if they'd test driven it and was assured that they had of course done so. Since this was the dealership that had failed the car on it's annual MOT (safety inspection) the year before for giving ZERO handbrake reading because they had the back wheels on the rollers and the handbrake works on the front, I asked them if they would please bring it round from the carpark. To my great delight I watched them demolish a fence as the vehicle went backwards in first gear!

I then got to explain to their chief 'Service Technician' in an office full of Renault achievement certificates that the pushrod engine ran in the opposite direction to the OHC (the pushrod had been derived from a rear engined car) and that I wasn't impressed by the skill of their test driver!
        Paul Compton
        www.morini-mania.co.uk
        http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

Comment

I sell band saw blades for a living so the teeth facing the wrong way comes up once in a while but my favorite was a customer who had a large job cutting some 12" stainless steel rounds. They called for a recommendation for a blade and we shipped one out to them same day. The next morning we get a call from them. They tell us they got the stainless blade in but there was something wrong because a magnet would stick to it indicating it was made from regular steel. I had to hold back the laughter as I explained the blade was not stainless but it was spec'd for cutting stainless.

Comment

Originally posted by DougA
            I sell band saw blades for a living so the teeth facing the wrong way comes up once in a while but my favorite was a customer who had a large job cutting some 12" stainless steel rounds. They called for a recommendation for a blade and we shipped one out to them same day. The next morning we get a call from them. They tell us they got the stainless blade in but there was something wrong because a magnet would stick to it indicating it was made from regular steel. I had to hold back the laughter as I explained the blade was not stainless but it was spec'd for cutting stainless.
            Also, I believe stainless steel comes in magnetic and non-magnetic types.

Brian
            OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by radkins
              I thought you guys might get a kick out of this, a buddy of mine came by this morning after returning from Harbor Freight with a new blade (a Morse) for his 4 1/2" bandsaw but according to him it was the wrong one and he wanted to borrow one from me until he could go back and exchange it. He was grumbling about them selling him the wrong blade even though the saw came from there, seems it fit ok but the darn teeth were turned backward! I told him he had mistakenly picked up a blade for a "left hand" saw and he replied "that's what I was thinking too" but then he complained that it was not marked either way on the package. I took the blade inside the shop where he could not see me and flipped it over and handed it back to him, I told him to just keep that one since I could use a "left hand" blade I would just swap with him. He left happy and I got a grin out of the deal but I have yet to tell him he went home with the same blade he brought over.
              He probably still can't cut much with that blade.

One of the fastest ways I know of dulling most cutting tools is to run them backwards and try to cut something. Saws, reamers, end mills.

One exception that comes to mind is a Stihl chainsaw that I bought a couple of years ago. You guessed it. Chain was on backwards. Sure wouldn't cut much that way.

Brian
              OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

16' x 8' 2" plate to be drilled and tapped for motor - compressor installation. Helped my apprentice mag drill all the holes and left him to tap them. Came back a couple of hours later to see him with the crane starting to turn the plate over. He explaned he had tapped all the holes for the motor and comperssor and had to turn it over to tap the holes for the feet because if he tapped them from the topside they would be left hand thread from the underside. Said nothing but picked up a nut and bolt, ran the nut off and turned it over and ran it back on. In forty years I've never let him live that one down. All in fun of course. Peter
                The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

Originally posted by bborr01
                  One exception that comes to mind is a Stihl chainsaw that I bought a couple of years ago. You guessed it. Chain was on backwards. Sure wouldn't cut much that way.

Brian
                  I'll have to confess to that one myself. First chainsaw I ever used was one I rented from a little ol' lady who was renting her deceased husband's tools out of her home after he had passed away. When I went to get it from her she said she'd just gotten it back from being sharpened. I took it home and it wouldn't cut worth a damn. Just deep scratches in the bark of the pine trees I tried to cut.

As I said, chainsaws were new to me, so I never even thought about that possiblility. Just took it back to her and did my cutting with a bow saw. Only later (years) did it occur to me the chain was most likely on backwards.

Comment

About 25 years ago, visiting wifes cousin. He had a McCoulough 250 bowsaw.Ran good, was leaking gas bad, & though he had put on new chain it just would not cut.Asked what he was going to do with it. He was tired of messing with it,gave it to me. Found that he had run a long screw into the gas tank, patched it turned chain around & used the saw for years!!!!
                    chiphead42
                    chiphead42

Comment

Stupid ass brought back a bandsaw blade from Sears that had backwards teeth. Stupid clerk looked through blades till he found him one that was right.

Comment

Also, I believe stainless steel comes in magnetic and non-magnetic types.
                        It does, but it isn't that simple. 300 series stainless steel is austenitic which means that when annealed it is non magnetic. However, if it has been work hardened by rolling or cold forging it becomes magnetic.
                        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by EVguru
                          I asked them if they would please bring it round from the carpark.

Now that is amusing, apparently they pushed the car from the workshop out to the carpark? Or maybe they changed the engine out there?

Comment

If, when building a modified rear wheel drive car, you manage to install the rear axle upside down-----You will have 3 speeds in reverse and one speed forward. Don't even think about asking how I know this, and never go look at the rear wall in my fathers garage----
                            Brian Rupnow

Comment

A while ago I needed a new hole saw for work, picked up a 'husky' from home depot, first time I used it it wouldn't cut so I looked it over and the teeth were backwards on it. I kept using it, just slipped the drill into reverse after getting the pilot hole bored and it worked fine.

kept it around for a while as a joke loaner, was surprised how many people couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. Still in one of my junk boxes somewhere I think

Comment

Working...
                              X