Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hands-On Metal Scraping Class Taught by a 40-year Veteran of the Machine Rebuilding I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hands-On Metal Scraping Class Taught by a 40-year Veteran of the Machine Rebuilding I

Richard King of King-Way Scraping Consultants will teach a class of 36 hours (4 1/2 days) condensed into 3 days. Fri. Aug 26 to Sun. Aug. 28 in Berkeley, Calif. It will be intense! Snacks and lunches will be included along with all needed materials. Students will receive reading material prior to class for study.

The instructor limits the class to 6 so he can give each student the necessary individual attention. Students will learn hand scraping, power scraping, and machine tool inspection (determining the amount of wear and correction to return machine surfaces to straight, flat, and square.) In this part of the class the instructor will discuss and use a spirit level and the King-Way Alignment gage (invented by his father) to level and align a machine, and discuss how to rebuild lathes, surface grinders, milling machines, etc. He will teach how to straighten and scrape a gib, where and when to half-moon oil-flake and many other tricks of the trade of machine tool rebuilding. In addition, he will glue a piece of Turcite*or Rulon* to a bar and show how to scrape it.

Posted on behalf of the organizer:

The instructor is a journeyman machine tool rebuilder/builder. He was taught to hand scrape by his father in the 1960s. In 1984 he started teaching scraping at GM and now has taught at 8 divisions of GM, Rolls Royce, Cummins, John Deere, and at US Naval bases. He has taught at over 40 new machine builders in the US and around the world.

Students are welcome to bring lathe compounds, milling machine tables, or straight edges to work on.

Cost $600. $300 to hold your place. $300 at beginning of class. Deposit refundable if you cancel by Aug. 12.
    Checks payable to D. H. Mayeron. Mail to D. H. Mayeron, P.O. Box 3999, Berkeley, CA 94703

Richard, any chance you'd be interested in hosting a scraping class in Texas?
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
      Richard, any chance you'd be interested in hosting a scraping class in Texas?
      I had seen a thread on PM weeks ago about someone taking charge of organizing a class in Texas, but haven't seen any update to the thread in almost a month. Really hoping it happens. Here is the thread:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...dallas-219835/
      Cheers,
      Gary

Comment

Originally posted by gcude
        I had seen a thread on PM weeks ago about someone taking charge of organizing a class in Texas, but haven't seen any update to the thread in almost a month. Really hoping it happens. Here is the thread:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...dallas-219835/
        Yes, Jan (TGTools) and I have tried several times to get a Forrest Addy class in Texas, but the logistics were a PITA. I can host in Austin, but there's not enough guys in Austin interested. Dallas is more central, but no one in Dallas wanted to do the footwork.

Frustrating.

Edit: Gary, thanks for pointing me to thread -- I hadn't seen the last couple of replies. There are a couple leads on places in Dallas who might host.
        Last edited by lazlo; 06-02-2011, 12:42 AM.
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
          Yes, Jan (TGTools) and I have tried several times to get a Forrest Addy class in Texas, but the logistics were a PITA. I can host in Austin, but there's not enough guys in Austin interested. Dallas is more central, but no one in Dallas wanted to do the footwork.

Frustrating.

Edit: Gary, thanks for pointing me to thread -- I hadn't seen the last couple of replies. There are a couple leads on places in Dallas who might host.
          I've called the machine shops suggested but they declined. One was nice enough to suggest a community college but I haven't tried them yet. Last option is an Indian friend with contacts in the motel business where we might rent a meeting room but I'd rather be in an industrial space and have less misunderstanding potential with heavy stuff and cast iron swarf.
          "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

I got a quote for a lathe bed re-grind from Commerce Grinding in Dallas. From their response, they don't seem to have scraping as a service. I see them mentioned in the PM thread, but don't see where anyone spoke with them about hosting a class. For those working on a hosting location, here is their contact info:

Lodor Enterprises, Inc.
            dba: Commerce Grinding Co.
            600 W. Commerce St.
            Dallas, TX 75208
            (214) 651-1977
            (214) 651-8754 - FAX
            Cheers,
            Gary

Comment

Yes, Commerce Grinding would be fantastic. A lot of the PracticalMachnist members have gotten their lathe beds ground there.

I'll give them a call today...

Comment

Working...
              X