Cheap winch/power transmission ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap winch/power transmission ideas

I'd like to build a lift table to raise lawn mowers and snowthrowers to a good working height. I've sketched out a few ideas, using a die lifting table as a design, but mine will be significantly lighter duty (like 200lbs max capacity). I just want something that can do the awkward lifting that is tough to do alone.

However, I need a power source to raise the table. die-lifting tables ive seen have airbags, which are pricey, so are hydraulic or pneumatic actuators. I thought of getting an electric winch from Harbor Freight, but they're all 12 volt, so i'd need a transformer.

Another idea is a gear reduced, reversible motor with a length of acme threaded rod, but i dont know where to find a cheap motor like that.

I was wondering if anyone had an idea for cheap power transmission in an application like this

How about a auto floor jack or bottle jack. Both under $25.00

Comment

Bottle jack is a good idea mcskipper, but its overkill and it would take alot of pumping to raise the table.

I take a lawnmower on/off a table about 15 or more times a day, to test start it and so on. I was trying to think of a rapid, relatively low power source that could push the table up or down in a few seconds

Comment

Why not start with a Harbor Frieght motorcycle lift?

Comment

jack

Sir,

How about some sort of scissors/platform arrangment with an air cylinder and some sort of quarter-turn valve(s) for letting the air in and out??? It should be fast and easy to do.

Regards,
          JCC

Comment

What about a hand winch something like this one: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5596_200395596

Comment

Check HF or some other cheap outlet for hydraulic log splitter and rip the hydraulics from that. In here I can get one for 200 EUR (incl. 23 % VAT, so without tax that is like 200 USD). This way you get electric motor, the hydraulic pump, hydraulic valve and a long stroke piston (1000 mm seems to be common) with 5-6 tons of force.
              Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

For only 200 lbs I'd be thinking low tech; along the lines of a block and tackle system. From floor to waist high we're talking 3 or 4 seconds, and moving less than 5 ft of rope.

Assuming you have a suitable overhead attachment point of course.

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl
                  For only 200 lbs I'd be thinking low tech; along the lines of a block and tackle system. From floor to waist high we're talking 3 or 4 seconds, and moving less than 5 ft of rope.

Assuming you have a suitable overhead attachment point of course.
                  You could incorporate the B&T into the lift along with a crank to take up the rope. The typical hunter's B&T is usually a 500# cap so that may just do the trick.

Comment

Years ago, I built an elevator for a friend's beach house so he could get upstairs in his wheelchair without assistance. I used 4" PVC pipe with a plastic piston inside to lift the platform nine feet from the ground to the raised deck.

The power was supplied by the city water system by opening a valve to fill the cylinder. Another valve drained the cylinder when he wanted to come down. The waste water was piped to a sprinkler in the yard.

I used a counterweight on a cable to balance the weight of the platform, so only the live load (about 200 pounds) was moved by the cylinder. The platform was cantilevered off a frame with boat trailer rollers that ran up and down a stout wooden beam.
                    Last edited by winchman; 06-04-2011, 02:44 PM.
                    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Why not some threaded rod and a half inch variable speed power drill?
                      I bet you already own the drill.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustybolt
                        Why not some threaded rod and a half inch variable speed power drill?
                        I bet you already own the drill.
                        Enco has Acme threaded rod (3' length) and nuts for reasonable cost.

-bill

Comment

If you can find an old bumper car jack that will give you plenty of lift, a very old VW jack had a long threaded rod and a little right angle gearbox at the top for the handle.

Comment

Something like this?

Comment

Possibly a simple ramp up one side and down off the other.??

Dunno, but just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                              X