Angle Plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angle Plate

Is there anyway of machining an angle plate on a myford lathe using fly cutters. How do I set up the angle plate in the first place?

If size permits, it is easier to turn it on the faceplate.
    Take two round bars about 1" diameter or larger, face one end and tap 3/8-16 or so. Attach these to the faceplate, and mount the angle plate to them with surface to be faced toward the tailstock. The bars will be at 90* to the faceplate, and angle plate will end up true.
    Make sure you balance the work before turning.
    Jim H.

Comment

You start by machining 2 cylindrical squares on your lathe. The angle iron is first clamped in a vice on the mill table and drilled and tapped. Then it is bolted to a face plate on the lathe and the ends of the angle turned true with a lathe bit. After that bolt the cylindrical squares you made to the face plate; clamp the angle iron to them and machine both sides and the ends in turn. This is described in a 2 part article by Rudy Kouhoupt in Sept./Oct. and Nov./Dec. issues of HSM. You may still be able to obtain copys from Village Press. Good Luck.

Comment

I clamped mine to the cross slide/compound and fly cut it, checking with DTI before making final cuts.

Comment

If your flycutter is not big enough to cut the whole surface, you could mount a cutting tool on the faceplate at the smallest radius needed to clean the surface.

------------------
          Paul G.
          Paul G.

Comment

Actually, I clamped up a boring bar ground to flycut sideways in the jaws of the 4 jaw chuck and adjusted the sweep that-a-way.

Comment

To set up remove the topslide and toolpost from the cross slide. Remove chuck and fit face plate.
              Next bolt the angle plate down to the cross slide with the upright face facing the headstock.
              Offer this vertical face up to the face plate to get it square to the cross slide so you only have the minimum of material to remove.
              Bolt a block mounted flycutter to the face plate so you have enough swing to clean the angle late up in one pass. You may find you have to bolt a couple of changewheels to the face plate directly opposte the fly cutter to balance the faceplate up.
              Take a series of light cuts until the vertical face is cleaned up, then turn this around and bolt the new face to the cross slide and face the other side up.
              You are guaranteed to keep square by the fact thet the cross slide is, or should be, at 90 degrees to the face plate.

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Working...
              X