Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tang or no tang for a tailstock chuck (no - not that argument again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tang or no tang for a tailstock chuck (no - not that argument again)

My chuck is on a tangless adaptor becuase it gets used in the mill with a drawbar. I tried to use this in the tailstock but discovered it wouldn't release when retracting the quill. Is this another defect with my chinese 3 in 1, or is the tang generally required for removal from the tailstock?

The problem is not the lack of a tang, but the overall length of the Morse Taper. You can make a button of a short bolt with the same thread as the MT adaptor to extend the length of the adaptor.
    Jim H.

Comment

Does your tailstock have a slot to receive the tang.

Phil

Comment

I would not say that is a "defect". All threaded-back morse taper arbors are short(er). A couple ways to deal with it: a bolt as mentioned above. If your tailstock has the slot, which precludes using a bolt, make one of these to fit...
        Removable Tang

Comment

Thanks everyone. The fact that you can buy a "threaded tang" tells me all that I need to know

Phil - now that you mention it - I haven't verified that it has a socket for a tang. Will have to check tonight.

Comment

my lathe I had to grind the corners off the tang or it won't seat in the MT tailstock socket (they continued the MT angle past the end of the MT!)

I have another arbor I cut the tang, and ground few mm past that, so that it ejects at exactly 0" on the tailstock markings.. (Arbor with tang ejects at like 1.3"!)
            Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

As a matter of interest, I must have missed the discussion in the past, but what's the argument in favour of not having a tang? I find it annoying that I need to pull my centres from the tailstock, as they won't auto-eject like my tanged tapers do. I haven't had a centre stick in yet, but I'm certainly not convinced that will never happen.

Pete

Comment

Pete,
                The stereotypical argument is whether the tang "drives" the arbor or not (as in a drill press spindle). I guess the tailstock terminology would be if the tang "secures" the arbor in the socket. Personally, I've had enough of that tired, old argument Now that I've said it, though, I am sure it will rear its ugly head

Comment

Oh ok, thanks Arthur, obviously I lead a sheltered life as I've never heard of that as a discussion and since the tang isn't always fitted, am surprised there even is an argument!

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by PeteF
                    Oh ok, thanks Arthur, obviously I lead a sheltered life as I've never heard of that as a discussion and since the tang isn't always fitted, am surprised there even is an argument!

Pete
                    It's HSM, you must have an argument!

There's them that says you hold & drive on the taper & the tang is to eject, & there's them that says you hold on the taper & drive on the tang.
                    Both say they are right & the other is wrong, but I totality agree/disagree with both, but only cause I'm a disagreeable schizophrenic.

john
                    John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

Comment

Tangless threaded arbors

Hi guys,

When I first got my lathe I was using threaded arbors in the tailstock, some of which were difficult to eject. When I looked into this further I found that the screw that drives the tailstock quill was close to the same size as the threaded hole in the arbor.

Using the end of the screw to eject the arbor damaged the end of the screw, to the point that I had to dis-mantle the tailstock so I could clean up the screw, to allow the quill to be removed from the tailstock.

Now, all my threaded arbors have a short piece of allthread in the threaded hole, with just enough sticking out to grab with a pair of pliers for removal when needed.

Regards
                      Mark

Comment

i use a draw bar arbor in my lathe i had to make a screw in plug but i got 1.4 inch more room for driling that i would not have with a standard tang ,i alos have seperat chucks for everything and with all there own arbors as well,

Comment

My tailstock doesn't have a slot for a tang but as long as the tang continues tapered it fits. I'll just make a shoulder bolt the proper length to screw into the drawbar threads and then it should eject ok.

Comment

Originally posted by jugs

There's them that says you hold & drive on the taper & the tang is to eject, & there's them that says you hold on the taper & drive on the tang.
                            Both say they are right & the other is wrong, but I totality agree/disagree with both, but only cause I'm a disagreeable schizophrenic.

john

Ha ha, well let's get started then.

My tailstock doesn't have a slot for a tang but as long as the tang continues tapered it fits. I'll just make a shoulder bolt the proper length to screw into the drawbar threads and then it should eject ok.
                            Screw in tangs are available for purchase or would be easy to make if you prefer. About half way down this page. Probably makes no difference, just a bit more elegant than a bolt, cheap as chips, and this company ships worldwide.

Pete

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalo...l-Chuck-Arbors

Comment

Originally posted by jugs

john
                              Actually I was looking for some Getting Hit On The Head lessons...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdoGVgj1MtY
                              Last edited by dfw5914; 06-07-2011, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X