Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

super magnet in chain case to catch metal chips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• super magnet in chain case to catch metal chips?

My skidsteer (a bobcat-type mini loader made by Rounder in North Dakota many years ago) threw off a drive chain and I only had 3 wheel drive. Each wheel sprocket has a chain running from one of the hydraulic motors bathed in oil. I opened the sump up and found that one chain had broken the mending link. I got a new one at Tractor Supply to fix it.

While fishing around in the oil bath with a magnet for the chain and broken parts, I found two (twisted) of the three pieces of the mending link, two flattened nuts and some metal chips.

There is clearance around the sides of the chains but not much under them. Evidently the smashed parts had floated around in there for a while and had gotten into the chain and sprocket and something had to give.

What about putting some magnets in the sump on the ends (out of the way of the chains) to catch any future loose parts to keep them out of the chain and sprocket?

Worst case scenario would be for the magnet to rattle loose and get in the chain itself?

Magnets can be quite soft if you want them to be .I wouldn't worry about them doing any damage if you selected a decent one for the job.I always retrieve magnets fron opld speakers and television tubes the old type used a while back the chipped easily and were quite strong. Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

If you look in the Mcmaster catalogue under 'pot magnet' you can get them with screw thread mountings. If you mount a stud in the drvie casing you could secure the magnet in a way that it won't dislodge. You can also get magnets with holes in the centre that will do the same thing.

Michael

Comment

I think it's a good idea. One thing is you don't want to magnetize the chain, so put the magnet in a spot where it will be at least two or three magnet diameters away from the chain.

The other thing I might be concerned about is the possible corrosive effect of the contents of the oil on the magnet coating. I've seen a couple super magnets degrade pretty bad, exposing the rare earth compound. Maybe just make sure the coating is complete, without flaws. You could also coat the magnets with epoxy before placing them in the case. You won't be expecting the epoxy to bond them in place- just to coat the magnets.

How hot is it going to get in use? Most super magnets will completely lose their magnetism at a temperature not a lot higher than boiling water. That could be bad news if they suddenly lose their hold on the case and start drifting around.

An alnico magnet would probably be a safer bet, even if not as strong.
        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

One of my friends is a hot rodder and said that I could get a drain plug with a built-in magnet. I will try to see if they have one in the right size.

Maybe I'll try one of the microwave doughnut magnets that I got from an appliance dealer friend. It would be soft if it got into the chains. Thanks--Mike.

Comment

Those are ferrite magnets- they are not soft, they're hard and brittle, and they tend to flake pieces off if there's stress on them. That could happen from the way they're mounted-
            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

On my swather I mount the magnet in a small metal box welded out on the side of the legs

Comment

Originally posted by mikem
                One of my friends is a hot rodder and said that I could get a drain plug with a built-in magnet. I will try to see if they have one in the right size. ...............
                I use these whenever possible in engines,transmissions, and even in my lathe's gearbox.
                Google images...magnetic drain plugs

They work great, are cheap, and should be available at most industrial supply outlets and automotive parts stores.
                If your chain-case has a drain plug it will be easy to replace with one of these. If not it won't be hard to add one.
                Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

You don't need a "super magnet". In fact, if you do epoxy one to a drain plug that mounts to a steel case, it will be just about impossible to position the thread to screw in! Don't ask how I know this

If you don't want to buy a magnetic drain plug, just an "ordinary" strength magnet is all you need.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy
                    I use these whenever possible in engines,transmissions, and even in my lathe's gearbox.
                    Google images...magnetic drain plugs

They work great, are cheap, and should be available at most industrial supply outlets and automotive parts stores.
                    If your chain-case has a drain plug it will be easy to replace with one of these. If not it won't be hard to add one.

Agreed, every engine, transmission, and axle that I build I install some sort of a magnet in it. The drainplugs are nice because you can inspect them when you do periodic oil changes. On my race engines I will put several ferrite magnets in the engine. As long as it is a ferrous block I just lay down some RTV and then stick the magnet to the block. I have never had one come free.

Comment

Aerospace uses them too, except they are sometimes hooked up to a warning light, like on a tail rotor of a helicopter... Metal chips in the gear box on a heli = bad news...

Comment

When I had my Rong Foo apart I epoxied a neodyium (sp) magnet to the oil drain. I never went back to see what, if anything, it caught.
                        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Working...
                        X