Shaper Blasphemy!! (Ludwig Gack H20)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaper Blasphemy!! (Ludwig Gack H20)

Some time ago I acquired a 1958 vintage universal toolmaker shaper needing some TLC.

Reality eventually set in, I've no time to get it back in fighting form, it's just been standing around.
    Nobody wants to buy a thing like this, so I considered scrapping it (which would be a shame and probably cost money).

Then the solution arrived: I gave it to my wife as a present!

She's thrilled!

The motor mount and main bearing mount look like Art Nouveau pieces in cast iron. The table and main body as well. The ram could perhaps also be used for effect.

Oh, I forgot to say why my wife is thrilled: those parts will be used in her flower beds as unusual pots that noone in our area will be able to beat for effect.
    I'm happy and my wife is happy :-)

OK, time to flame me now...

Benta.
    Last edited by Benta; 06-11-2011, 02:28 PM.

Also forgot to say that the accessories such as dividing head and tailstock fit my mill, so it wasn't a complete loss.

Benta.

Comment

haha, we need pictures or it did'nt happen.
      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
        haha, we need pictures or it did'nt happen.
        Give my wife a little time...

Comment

I guess you cannot hear my quiet sobbing from this far away.

Comment

Finally, a shaper is useful for something!

Comment

Benta,

Are you still married?

Comment

A little bit of my machinery loving soul just died...Very sad, as the Gack shapers are IMHO works of art to say the least, but it is your machine, so rather than flame I would prefer the pity approach...now that youve sentenced a poor innocent lil shaper to a horrible rusty death. Too bad you had to abandon it...

My current shaper, a little Atlas, was a solid hunk of rusty iron with no moving parts when I bought it. I tore it down to the castings in a week of 20 minute-1 hour nights, let it sit for a few months, spent a solid day one weekend degreasing and stripping the paint, a couple more hours the same week painting, then it sat a few more months. Probably a year after I bought it I finally got free time and put it back together to the point it is today. Currently its usable but missing a few things (a knob, a handle, belt guards etc), and I may get around to finding/fabbing them one day, but meantime Im enjoying it. I dont rush my projects, but I dont give up on them either. A few minutes (literally) spent working on a small project machine, on random evenings, is surprisingly good medicine for the soul during an 80 hour work week.
                "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Benta,
                  You should come over to Scotland, and get a post in one of our local museums, where they sentence nice machine tools to a rusty lingering death.

Comment

Just my opinion, but this is a sad state to happen to that shaper.

There must be another fad going around, i,ve seen different gardens etc with nice solid pieces of machinery , castings etc sitting out in the weather , left to supposedly create some sort of old time atmosphere or whatever.

The fancy decorating magazines appear to be displaying this type of thing, back awhile ago it was old tree roots , driftwood etc.

Now it has switched to rusting machinery or parts.

Comment

Mine came in handy too

One of the gears is now used for driving the vertical head on fritz

The motor will come in handy one day

so will the motor starter control gear

the block will serve some purpose one day

the behind the clapper box gubbins can be used as a compound slide on a small lathe

i kept the ram and the gears also.
                      the rest went off for scrap

but this machine was a scrapper ..it had cracks running through it ..disguised by paint and filler that opened up when a adjusted the ram gib strip

all the best.markj

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch
                        Just my opinion, but this is a sad state to happen to that shaper.

There must be another fad going around, i,ve seen different gardens etc with nice solid pieces of machinery , castings etc sitting out in the weather , left to supposedly create some sort of old time atmosphere or whatever.

The fancy decorating magazines appear to be displaying this type of thing, back awhile ago it was old tree roots , driftwood etc.

Now it has switched to rusting machinery or parts.

We have been doing that for ages around here, cars mostly.

Comment

I think its GREAT!! Cause the alternative is it would have been chopped up to fit in someones melting pot otherwise. You are best to know if it could have been resurrected into its original form. Not so. So the better half gets to reform it into its new form. I love it. JR
                          My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

If I had a shaper, and if I did not have a surface grinder, I would mount a bench grinder on the end of the ram and have a surface grinder for not a lot of money.

Greybeard

Comment

Originally posted by greybeard
                              If I had a shaper, and if I did not have a surface grinder, I would mount a bench grinder on the end of the ram and have a surface grinder for not a lot of money.

Greybeard
                              I tried this but the finish was terrible. You would need the wheels mounted on some precision bearings to get a good finish.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X