Octagon inside a circle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radkins,

Is this getting your 45-90 closer to picture time?

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Ford
      Radkins,

Bob
      If that is the case, Ballard circumvented the problem by making a tulip transition at the breech. It makes a classy looking barrel.

http://www.ballardarms.com/3_gallery.shtml
      Jim H.

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl
        What is "Chief?"
        The way I'd heard it, it's a mnemonic or a way to fix it in the mind with a visual hook. An Indian chief named Soak-a-Toe. Picture the sore toe too if it helps.

There are a ton of those hooks to prompt memory. I remember reading that there is one to help med students remember the bones of the hand with the first letters representing the real names. I've no idea what the bone names are, the memory jogger has stuck as, "On Mount Olympus snowy tops a fat a$$ed German counts his hops". If there's a doctor in the house maybe he can tell me the real story.

The value of Pi is represented by "May I have a large container of coffee", the number of letters in the words giving pi out to seven places. If you really need the accuracy "How I want a drink alcoholic of course after the heavy volumes concerning quantum mechanics" might get you there.
        "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Ford
          Radkins,

Bob
          Yes it is, I was all set to finish the woodwork a few months ago when I busted my right knee, Several months on crutches and knee surgery makes it hard to get much done in the shop. I finally dusted everything off recently and got around to doing the case hardening on the internals (which came out quite well BTW thanks to you guys and your advice) and did finial polishing on the receiver, which has yet to be blued. This has been a daunting project and I wanted to be sure I was going to be able to complete it rather than posting pics of an uncompleted gun that might never get finished, at this point it is nearly complete and I am very satisfied with the results so far.

Pics soon I promise.

Comment

Yes, TG. My eldest is just finishing her math revision for her last exam before college. Anyone for cosh, sinh and tanh ?

I knew this lot once, almost fifty years ago. I can do some of it.

But i can't remember how much to face off the end of a part between calculating it and setting the crossfeed on.

Anyway, if the Op wants to file his octagon, he should file off half the difference on one side, and finish on the other side. That should keep him quiet.
            Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

Roy G. Biv, which also happen to be the main colours of the colour code (excepting indigo, which is too similar similar to violet).
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

To me, those mnemonics are all too often more obscure and difficult to remember than the facts they're supposed to represent.

Tho not always. That's how I finally learned the Canadian provinces: BASMOQ + "the maritime provinces" - "Basmoque"
                (,.. more specifically the order of them, from west to east)

Comment

I never could remember the mnemonic taught to us in school and couldn’t make it past the equation for sine; Some Old Horse…

At some point in my apprenticeship, I picked up one that has stood the test of time. Some Old Hippy Caught Another Hippy Tripping On Acid.

Not sure who told me that one, I’ve worked with more than a few old hippies.

George
                  George

Comment

Working...
                  X