Octagon inside a circle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Octagon inside a circle

What's the formula for determining the exact distance across the flats of an octagon inside a circle of a given diameter, in this case it is an odd size of 1.033.

Sqrt(trig)
    Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

From google W=.9239D, where W = width of the octagon and D = the circle diameter. If I understand what you are looking for correctly,
      1.033 * 0.9239 = .9543887.

Edit - this is for an octagon with the points (vertices) touching the inside of the circle.
      Last edited by Ridgerunner; 06-12-2011, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Hmmmmm...... here we go...

http://buster2058.netfirms.com/octag...ayout_calc.htm

Comment

It's only ink and paper

Comment

Originally posted by radkins
            What's the formula for determining the exact distance across the flats of an octagon inside a circle of a given diameter, in this case it is an odd size of 1.033.
            You know that the base angle of each section facing the flats is 360 divided by 8 or 45 degrees. Dividing that to get a right triangle for trig gives 22.50 degrees. Then you know the length of the hypotenuse is 1/2 the circle diameter so half the distance across the flats is (1.033/2) * cos 22.5, and the across flats distance is twice that or .95436.

EDIT: Which I see does not agree with the book. Hmmm.
            "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Thanks guys that one sure had me confounded big time! I not only got my problem solved but I leaned something new, thanks again!

Comment

Isn't it sin(22.5).

Phil

Originally posted by TGTool
                You know that the base angle of each section facing the flats is 360 divided by 8 or 45 degrees. Dividing that to get a right triangle for trig gives 22.50 degrees. Then you know the length of the hypotenuse is 1/2 the circle diameter so half the distance across the flats is (1.033/2) * cos 22.5, and the across flats distance is twice that or .95436.

EDIT: Which I see does not agree with the book. Hmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by philbur
                  Isn't it sin(22.5).

Phil
                  Some People Have, Curly Black Hair, Through Persistent Brushing

sine = p/h
                  cosine = b/h
                  tangent = p/b

One thing I was missing was not multiplying the book constant by 1.033 so I think I'm out of the woods now.
                  "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

The distance across the flats is just diameter x cos 22.5 which is .92387. The book said .9239.

I don't understand what your 1.033 is Tgtool.

Philbur, I always work everything out from cos. In this case, sin will give you the length of the flats.
                    Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTool
                      Some People Have, Curly Black Hair, Through Persistent Brushing

sine = p/h
                      cosine = b/h
                      tangent = p/b.
                      ?????? p h b ??????
                      don't look/sound like any parts of a triangle I've ever seen .
                      I guess h may be hypotenues, but p and b for adjacent and opposite?????????
                      ...lew...

Comment

We referenced Chief soh cah toa to remember this.

Sine= Opposite/Hypotenuse
                        Cosine= Adjacent/Hypotenuse
                        Tangent= Opposite/Adjacent
                        Guaranteed not to rust, bust, collect dust, bend, chip, crack or peel

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick
                          ?????? p h b ??????
                          don't look/sound like any parts of a triangle I've ever seen .
                          I guess h may be hypotenues, but p and b for adjacent and opposite?????????
                          ...lew...
                          Right, oPposite, Base, and Hypotenuse

Originally posted by rohart
                          I don't understand what your 1.033 is Tgtool.
                          That's the size of the OP's circle. Factor times actual circle size. I knew you knew that.

Comment

Originally posted by radkins

You could download a free copy of Draftsight 2D CAD. Very handy for these and other type problems of this sort.

Comment

Originally posted by KIMFAB
                              We referenced Chief soh cah toa to remember this.

Sine= Opposite/Hypotenuse
                              Cosine= Adjacent/Hypotenuse
                              Tangent= Opposite/Adjacent
                              What is "Chief?"

Comment

Working...
                              X