Mill Makes & Models ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mill Makes & Models ???

I’ve been looking for a medium sized mill, but finding it hard to find makes and models that were produced.
    Trying to find something smaller than a Bridgeport for room reasons. So far I’ve found the following makes/models that look to fit my size and use requirements:
    1. Index Model 40
    2. Clausing Models 8520/8525/8530/8535
    Just missed a nice Clausing Model 8520. Are there any other make/models similar to these ???

Rockwell model 21-100 vertical or 21-122 horizontal/vertical.

Comment

Burke Millrite

Comment

Round ram bridgeport - 1000 lbs lighter and significantly shorter than the dovetail machines. Can also usually be found for cheap.
        "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Thanks for the info.
          Anyone hear of any of these for sale in the midwest ???

Comment

I see more round ram Bports in the midwest than any other location. I bought mine for $250 out of Chicago a few months back, but I see them on Craigs about every third week at least, and quite often at auctions too. Craigs tends to be like ebay, overpriced but to a lesser extent, so I would recommend checking the auctionzip site and local ads for auctions.
            "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Rooter - your in Old Iron Heaven - I'm sure you'll find some thing by CL, Public Auction, or word of mouth

The Iron is out there

Comment

Another option is the Fray http://www.lathes.co.uk/fray/ although they are far and few between. I have one I'm almost finished rebuilding and find it to be a very well built and designed machine.

Comment

I've been watching both CL & eBay for some time. Found my newly aquired SB 9A on CL.
                  Sometimes hard to find what you want if you don't know what you're looking for. I'm just not familiar with mills in this size and the ones I have found disappear fast.
                  The guy I bought the lathe from has a nice looking Index mill and may be selling it if he finds a Bridgeport, but who knows if and/or when.
                  I figured it will help to know what mills to look for.
                  Almost went for a new Grizzly G3102, but by the time you buy one, get tooling, and DRO you could buy a decked out BP series 1. Just wish I had the room for one....they're everywhere !!!

Comment

Rockwell, Clausing, Millrite, Jet, Grizzly G3102, round ram Bridgeport, Emco FB2, Deckel, Steinel, and a variety of Taiwanese equivalents of the G3102 would work. Since they are all in the 1000 lb range, consider buy a learning machine now and use it for a while to decide what you like and/or don't like about the small mills. Then watch CL, ebay, etc for a while to find a nice machine at the right price. When they surface, you will have to act fast. There will not be time to ask questions on a forum or think about it because there will be 10 other guys behind you that are ready to buy it now.

Keep in mind that parts for most of the older mills, other than the Bridgeport, are virtually nonexistent.

Comment

Grizzly 0484. Includes power head and X movements, approx 900lbs.
                      Who do I think you are...?

Comment

More compact and Bridgeport? , Yup.
                        More versatile than Bridgeport? , Yup

Better than a Bridgeport ? We could start world war 111 over this question.
                        I have one so hardly fair to start the argument , but it certainly is a compact, versatile and well built piece of kit.
                        Well equipped ones can be hard to find though!

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...ed=0CEAQ9QEwBg

Comment

I have a Sheldon/Vernon Vertical Jig borer distributed by Delta some where along the way and LOVE it. I was offered a Bridgeport from the person that I originally bought the Sheldon from because he is moving. He is one block away. I turned it down. The space needed for the Bridgeport is more than I have and I don't want to tool up again. I am delighted. This model is very scarce, can't even find a manual. It was apparently introduced tobe a cross over. Size can't be beat and it does all I need. The art deco design is a head turner. Keep looking one will come your way. I love the Clausing as well and that would have been my choice but one never came along. About 6 months later one did so a friend of mine bought it. He rehabbed it and then fell into a Bridgeport opportunity and bought it and sold the Clausing. Fred

Comment

Thanks again. Opens my options up.
                            Friend of mine told me the shop he works in (heat treat plant) is selling out a bunch of equipment. Goin to look as soon as I can.
                            He told me they have mills, drill presses, and even a lathe they want to get rid of.
                            I'll submit a new post with a list as soon as I know what's available and prices. Location is west central illinois if you know anyone looking.

Comment

Working...
                            X