Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What part of NO PARKING do you not understand?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What part of NO PARKING do you not understand?

When I was in college 40 years ago I had a job driving a tow truck. If I was not towing a vehicle then I was waiting for one to tow. All the grocery stores and shopping centers have signs that say, FIRE LANE NO PARKING and NO PARKING by order of Police. The manager of a large grocery store asked me to stay parked in his parking lot as much as possible. The manager said, every time someone abandons their vehicle in the no parking zone at the front door tow them away.

I stayed parked about 200 ft from the front door when someone jumped out and ran inside I backed over there lightning fast the automatic clamps would hook on to the front wheels, I would lift the vehicle up and be gone in 30 second. I made a lot of money doing that I got 10% of the tow bill for all the extra business I could get.

The train station had a train leave every night at 10 pm. Business was a little slow at the grocery store then so I parked about 100 ft past the train station front door in the main parking area. When I saw a vehicle pull up and everyone including the driver got out and hauled suit cases to the train leaving the vehicle blocking traffic I would hook on and be gone with that vehicle in 30 seconds.

What part of NO PARKING do people not understand. What makes people think they can abandon their vehicle, block traffic and break the law.

I have a friend that owns a tow truck service he asked me to fill in for a week while one of his drivers when on vacation. Laws have changed you can not tow a vehicle in a NO PARKING ZONE unless you are called by the Police, Store Manager, Store owner, or vehicle owner. They have to sign papers before it is LEGAL to tow the vehicle. WHAT THE HELL KIND OF LAW IS THIS????????? So 40 years later it is now OK to parking in a no parking zone, abandon your vehicle and block traffic and get away with it. Maybe each State has their own laws???

I carry several BBs in my pocket every place I go. I went to the Mall Saturday I always park way away from the building just to avoid traffic and walk to the front door, I am not lazy and my legs are not broken. A vehicle pulled out of the Handicap Parking and someone made a quick U turn and pulled in to that spot. That person jumped out and ran into the store pretty quick, no broken legs, no wheel chair, no crutches, no handicap license plate, no handicap sticker or anything. Car was parked illegal. So I went over and removed each valve stem cap on each tire dropped in a BB and screwed the cap about half way on then walked into the store. When I came out about 10 minutes or so later the car had 4 flat tires and the driver was mad as hell. The police was giving the guy a ticket, I called the police too. The jerk couldn't leave before the police arrived he had 4 flat tires. LOL.

Originally posted by gary350
    The police was giving the guy a ticket, I called the police too.
    LOL! Awesome.

I'd like to see handicap spots go away all together. I just don't see the point. I am convinced they are abused more than anything. I've got a friend with a handicap tag.....he has a hook for a hand. No problems walking.
    I see perfectly able people with handicap tags all the time. No doubt driving their spouses/parents vehicle. Even people with legitimate handicaps don't need their own spot. I see them all the time making their way around Walmart or a mall for hours on end, but can't bare to make it across the parking lot? Pah...leeze...
    If you truly are handicapped bad enough that you have to park close, you probably shouldn't be doing your own shopping and I sure as hell don't want you driving a multi-thousand pound weapon around.

Sorry for the rant.

Comment

I understand and possibly agree, but sadly don't follow what it has to do with a HSM forum. :-(

Comment

There was a guy at my work who had handicapped parking tags- he was DEAF!

Comment

Originally posted by Boostinjdm
          LOL! Awesome.

I'd like to see handicap spots go away all together. I just don't see the point. I am convinced they are abused more than anything. I've got a friend with a handicap tag.....he has a hook for a hand. No problems walking.
          I see perfectly able people with handicap tags all the time. No doubt driving their spouses/parents vehicle. Even people with legitimate handicaps don't need their own spot. I see them all the time making their way around Walmart or a mall for hours on end, but can't bare to make it across the parking lot? Pah...leeze...
          If you truly are handicapped bad enough that you have to park close, you probably shouldn't be doing your own shopping and I sure as hell don't want you driving a multi-thousand pound weapon around.

Sorry for the rant.
          Both my wife & I have handicapped parking permits and both of us at first glance you probably would not consider "handicapped". However, I do keep a cane in my truck just in case I need it as I have two bad knees and arthritis in my lower back in addition to sciatica in my right hip and plantar fasciitis in my left foot. My wife is a severe asthmatic.

There are many people with similar issues or heart disease or other hidden problems that are not immediately apparent. Not all of us are confined to a wheelchair, although I had to use one after one of my multiple knee surgeries.

To say the least I find your attitude offensive and is a good example of why we need laws such as the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to make public spaces accessible. This law has made life in the US easier for us with handicaps in contrast to western Europe. While they typically have handicapped parking places, curb cuts, ramps, elevators, universal sink handles, etc are not the norm. This made my getting around in Germany, England, and Italy much more difficult than here in the US.

Trust me I'd give up the handicapped parking permit in a heart beat in exchange for good knees, back & feet.

Comment

I had a shop that had a front 45' wide with doors each side of the front. People had a habit of parking in front of my shop and I could not get in or out of or take work in or out of the shop.

Well, I put a big sign up, NO PARKING IN FRONT OF THIS BUILDING, but I had to confront many of them and tell them to their face don't ever park here again unless your here doing business with me.

It was a small town and the word got around fast but my customers could get in and out.

People will take advantage of you if you let them. The meek get trampled on daily and the meek won't inherit the Earth.
            It's only ink and paper

Comment

Without knowing more about it I would just guess the change in procedures is because of abuse. The Lincoln Park Pirates were legendary in Chicago. On a slow day they'd pick up any car off the street from a legitimate space with a running meter and the driver had to pay to get the car back. I think theft and extortion might be good descriptions. Havng someone like a manager to be a witness and a complainant seems like a good process to me. In the grand scheme of things I don't think you're actually making the world a better place in spite of illegal parkers and a security camera might show you vandalizing.
              "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by gary350
                So I went over and removed each valve stem cap on each tire dropped in a BB and screwed the cap about half way on then walked into the store. When I came out about 10 minutes or so later the car had 4 flat tires and the driver was mad as hell.
                I'm wondering if you committed a felony, here.
                Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Sorry Dr. Stan, but who's making life easier for me? I believe in equal treatment.
                  I'd like to see welfare and all that jazz go away too. Life's a bitch. It was never meant to be easy. You're welcome to be offended, I'm offended by hand outs and special treatment. I'm still able bodied at 27, but my joint aches tell me that won't last forever.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDW04fgJ-GE

Comment

Originally posted by adatesman
                      I understand and possibly agree, but sadly don't follow what it has to do with a HSM forum. :-(
                      He did mention b.b.s and tow trucks, so there is a loose connection.

I grew up with a handicapped parent, and when I was driving My Mom to where ever it is nice to have the extra room of a h.c. space for helping the passenger in or out of the car. People see Me jump out of a car and assume that I don't belong there 'cause I'm not disabled and a few minor battles over the years have happened.
                      I would have gladly parked away from the spots right in front if there were any designated spots any where else, but that doesn't make sense to the permitting agency in charge .

Steve

Comment

Ugh. Iv seen people park in one lane of a 2 lane hiway infront of a butchers shop.. the parking lot was 20 feet away. Made me wanna call the cops on em. Left a kid in the car too. Was still there when I lost sight about 15 mins later (walking away)

Some people are too stupid to breed and own cars.
                        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
                          Some people are too stupid to breed and own cars.
                          Quoting a friend of Mine " Most People now days shouldn't even be allowed to sit in the passenger seat let alone behind the wheel"

This thread is going to get locked, I feel it coming.

Steve

Comment

Gary350,

If you want to know my opinion, I, personally, find your views and behavior deplorable. When I was reading your post I hoped that, by the end of it, you'll tell us that after becoming older you realized how appalling your behaviour was when you were young. Instead, you're telling us that 40 years later you carry BBs in your pockets to deflate tires on other people's vehicles. IMO, not only you deserve to be hated, you should be put in jail for this. Nobody authorized you to be a judge and an executioner either now or 40 years earlier.

In general, I find the current practice of towing vehicles almost illegal. The owner doesn't know if his car was stolen or towed, he doesn't know who to ask and were to call. And when it's done by a greedy and cynical youngster you describe, I cannot feel anything but a profound contempt for this kind of human beings.

P.S. In case you're interested, I don't park my car illegally, and I don't like those who do. But it doesn't make me respectful toward the towing bandits, especially the bragging ones.
                            Last edited by MichaelP; 06-16-2011, 03:25 AM.

Comment

Agree with MichaelP before thread lock.

Comment

Working...
                              X