OCR freeware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCR freeware

I have a plastic-bound volume of letters which I wrote during the summer of 1960, when I went to summer school in Norway. I transcribed these hand-written letters in 1989, using Word Perfect. I no longer have the floppy with those files (nor any way to read a floppy). What I'd like to do now is convert these dot-matrix printed letters into a Word document.

In other words, I need Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software. I can photograph the pages and get them into TIFF format, which is what some OCR programs use as input.

Does anybody have a recommendation, preferably Mac freeware, which can do this?

[edit] changed "ink jet" to "dot-matrix'
    Last edited by aostling; 06-16-2011, 12:03 AM.
    Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Do you have a scanner, or would you be photographing them with a camera? The cheapo HP scanner I have came with free OCR software that worked on mac. Unfortunately it didn't work with photographs, only directly with the scanner.

Comment

Found this on Google

http://www.freemacware.com/pdf-ocr/

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy_BP
        Do you have a scanner, or would you be photographing them with a camera? The cheapo HP scanner I have came with free OCR software that worked on mac. Unfortunately it didn't work with photographs, only directly with the scanner.
        I had a Canon scanner but it was hopeless on photo negatives, so I returned it. I don't really want to buy another one, just for this task.
        Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by wawoodman
          I downloaded this, and it works just fine. I'll have to do formatting of the text in Word, but that would be the case with any OCR.

I think this is just what I need, and the price is right. Thanks for it.
          Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Just in case, here's another that says it will convert dot matrix ...

http://www.cadandgraphics.com/repro11forma1.html

Comment

Working...
            X