ultimate rat trap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ultimate rat trap

I have a rat in my shop. I find its droppings all over. I want to kill this rat.

The normal spring type traps are not working.

What about an electric eye. Rat goes in and past the electric eye and that triggers and electrical discharge or harpons or both.

Any ideas? I used the glue traps in America but they are not available here.

Or what king of glue is it that is used and I could make my own.

Maybe use a plc to control the trap. Big box, rat walks in, past electric eye. doors all close. Then a door opens and releases a Jack Russel Terrier into the box.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Or you could put down some peanut butter, and sit there with an air rifle loaded with (for preference) a flathead pellet and just shoot the rat...

Dave
    Just south of Sudspumpwater UK

Comment

A cat you need is all I have to say, yes a cat, even one in a hat.

Comment

You may have to get a permit.

Comment

240V, or perhaps in your case 115V

make a safe hole, lets say a piece of PVC pipe
          add a couple of self-tapping screws so they project into the pipe
          connect your mains supply to the 2 screws
          IMPORTANT, limit the current with something like a 40W lamp in series
          enclose the whole deal so it is safe for kids and pets
          bait with a variety of tasty treats and turn out the lights, lock up

toasted rat
          Just got my head together
          now my body's falling apart

Comment

Originally posted by Thruthefence
            You may have to get a permit.
            What, for the cat ???.

Roy

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest
              I have a rat in my shop. I find its droppings all over. I want to kill this rat.

The normal spring type traps are not working.

What about an electric eye. Rat goes in and past the electric eye and that triggers and electrical discharge or harpons or both.

Any ideas? I used the glue traps in America but they are not available here.

Or what king of glue is it that is used and I could make my own.

Maybe use a plc to control the trap. Big box, rat walks in, past electric eye. doors all close. Then a door opens and releases a Jack Russel Terrier into the box.
              What is it about the spring traps that aren't working? Perhaps you need to try different bait. Are they "used" traps? I've heard that a rat somehow can detect the previous death of another making a used trap worthless.

Poison (warfarin) has always worked well for me - at least for endless mice... I guess a rat is big enough

A Havahart trap would probably work well. You can then dispose of the rat in any way that suits your fancy.

Peanut butter is good bait...

Comment

Yeah, a pvc pipe. Three screws with the three wires of our 380 volts!

Three phase rat toaster.

Gotta go to the shop. Let you know how it works.
                How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Probably a norway rat. I have never failed to get them with a rat trap and chuncky PB..
                  Last edited by moe1942; 06-18-2011, 11:44 AM.

Comment

1. Mix peanut butter with baking soda. Mice don't readily expel gas. Boom!

2. I have made an electric trap of PVC pipe. Depending on the size of the bugger, use 2" pvc. Put foil (or some kind of metal) on the bottom, a small wire across the top third of the pipe. I used straight 115 volts. Neutral on the foil, hot on the wire. Bait with peanut butter. WARNING!: IT WILL STINK for an hour or two.

3. Use a commercial product like D-Con. If he dies inside though, he will smell. But you'll find him....PHEW!!!

Mark

Comment

get a ball bearing mouse trap!

In other words a great large tom cat More cost effective &less messy

Comment

Originally posted by Swarf&Sparks
                        240V, or perhaps in your case 115V

make a safe hole, lets say a piece of PVC pipe
                        add a couple of self-tapping screws so they project into the pipe
                        connect your mains supply to the 2 screws
                        IMPORTANT, limit the current with something like a 40W lamp in series
                        enclose the whole deal so it is safe for kids and pets

bait with a variety of tasty treats and turn out the lights, lock up

toasted rat
                        If you think that's "safe" try it yourself and then get back to us...that is, if you're still alive.

Comment

Take a large bucket and fill it half full of water. On top of the bucket loosely fasten a piece of 5cm PVC pipe, nice and smooth. Then attach bait to a short string to the underside of the pipe in the centre so it hangs a couple of inches below the pipe. Make a little ramp up to the pipe on one end. The rat will climb onto the pipe and try to fish up the bait. He will lose his balance and fall into the water and drown. Dispose according to best practices....
                          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Perhaps this rat was a machinist in a former life and just comes by to admire your shop *shrugs*. I have known several old machinists in my long career who had vermin-like personalities, perhaps it is one of them.

Leave some material in a mini-lathe overnight and see if he makes anything while your gone. [:-o ... [:-)

Comment

These are custom built and very effective. I've got one a little smaller than normal and she'll go after anything. That includes dogs 10 times her size.

http://illustrateddogbreeds.com/Rat%20Terrier.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X