Looking for a Height Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a Height Gauge

Time to add another tool to the collection. It looks as though I will be needing a height gauge. What are your favorites? Are there any particular brands to stay away from?

Thanks,
    Terry

There's only one way to find out, might as well get started now!

Find a Mitutuyo dial type height gage. They come up often on eBone, that's where I go mine. I just like the dial type.

Ken

Comment

Find a Mitutuyo digital type height gage. They come up often on eBone, that's where I go mine. I just like the digital type.

Comment

Find a Mitutuyo Ultra-digital Pro grass cutter type height gage. They come up often on eBone, that's where I go mine. I just like the Ultra-digital Pro grass cutter type.
        Last edited by masimec; 06-17-2011, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by masimec
          Find a Mitutuyo Ultra-digital Pro grass cutter type height gage. They come up often on eBone, that's where I go mine. I just like the dial type.
          Another option is to make one from a cheap digital caliper, see

http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/digi...ght-gauge.html

Mike

Comment

I looked at that digital height gage, and had one of those "I could make that!" moments.

I've been thinking about getting a height gage, and just happen to have a new digital caliper laying around, not being used.

'Scuse me, I'm gonna go look in my scrap box and see if I've got enough pieces to make one....

Beats gettin' eBoned...
            No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

I eBay'ed my Brown&Sharp with the case. Someone must have absolutly needed a new whizbang digital so I got a beautiful condition analog for very reasonable dollars.
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

That's a tool that will sit on your shelf for years before it gets used. I have two and have only used one of them in the last 10 years.

If your buying it because you want one forget it. If your buying one because you need it for a job buy it.

There's some things I do that I could use one but other ways are easier.
                It's only ink and paper

Comment

i bought a mitutoyo dial type off e-bay for $40. guy said he needed better accuracy for aircraft parts. plenty good for my whack & hack machining skills.

Comment

This thread took a little disturbing twist Carld, oft-used by some are just as easily never used by others. There are many ways to "skin a cat", which is something that I enjoy about machining. I use mine quite enough to warrant its purchase. In general, it seems as if Mitutoyo and Starrett are the most prevalent when it comes to vernier and dial type. Mitutoyo is probably the de-facto choice for digital. Brown & Sharpe (aka Hexagon Metrology) is the leader in the very precise, high-end digital gauges as far as I can tell... I can't touch the price of that stuff with a ten-foot pole! Obviously, this means I am no expert.

Personally, I prefer vernier. I bought a NOS Mitutoyo 18" height gauge off of eBay. (It was a good, fair deal; I was not "boned") The only thing I regret is not buying one with a storage box. It is old enough that I cannot now buy a replacement one. That said, what I like about the Mitutoyo: easy replacement scribes, indicator holders; and I especially like the centering finger attachment: Center Master, Inch One thing to hammer home with these is not to pick them up by the vertical scale. Use the hand-grip grooves (like on the newer Mitutoyo Digimatics) or get the "balance weight" grip of some of the older designs (like my older vernier model, see below). That piece is just a solid block of steel which bolts to the flat on the base. Always pick it up by the base. You want to be very careful not to disturb the perpendicularity of the scale.
                    Last edited by Arthur.Marks; 06-18-2011, 12:54 AM. Reason: Added picture

Comment

I got a nice digitial one off ebay, after seeing what one 800watt sold, then buying the next least expensive one that was not sold by 800watt

... The bastards shiped me the one 800watt was selling, and 3 buttons on it where broken. Raised hell. Got them to send me the good one.

Tryed to throw out broken one when I moved... Dad took it... Hes.. not a machinist... or even know whats a height gauge is for.. just did'nt want me to throw it out.. I guess maybe with SPI or something interface it might be usable... *shrugs*
                      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

"There are many ways to "skin a cat", which is something that I enjoy about machining."

That sounds rather cruel to me.

Comment

Robin, how about "Ten Ways 'till Tuesday," then. I can't think of another alternate phrase!

Comment

I picked up a 24 inch digital one a while back. It was at the Rutland tools showroom for $25. There was a little surface rust (1/4 inch) and the 'silver' plastic had peeled on one of the knobs.

Used it for the first time the other day to determine if a plastic cube was really symmetrical. Worked perfectly.

Dan
                            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

I've thought about using some variation of that. Sometimes I just want to make comparison measurements, or see if a workpiece is tapered or not. The plan anyway was to mount a vertical post on a piece of 1 inch thick granite tile, then mount a dial indicator on the post. The part being checked is then moved around under the stem of the indicator, and taper is then very quickly seen.

If matching parts for length, it's the same deal- 'wring' one end of the part to the surface, then slide it under the stem.

It would be useful, but maybe not useful enough to be worth building one. Pretty easy build though, and indicators are relatively cheap.
                              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
                              X