Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rockwell Univise vs. Unihead: What's the diff?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockwell Univise vs. Unihead: What's the diff?????

Can anyone who has these 2 explain their differences?? Pix would be great!!

Thanks!
    Harry
    I don't do drugs.
    At my age, I can get the same effect if I stand up too quick!

They are two different animals.

Unihead;

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=1888

Univise, this is a chicom clone being sold by Tools for Cheap. It differs somewhat from the Rockwell, but is functionally the same;

http://www.tools4cheap.net/proddetail.php?prod=univise
    Jim H.

Comment

The Unihead holds a collet that in turn holds the tool to be ground (much like a 5c Spindex). They are Brown & Sharpe #9 taper if I recall correctly. The Univise holds the tool directly in its jaws and can be used to sharpen faceted tools such square or rectangular planer, shaper and lathe bits.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Mike
        The Unihead holds a collet that in turn holds the tool to be ground (much like a 5c Spindex). They are Brown & Sharpe #9 taper if I recall correctly.
        The one I have is B&S #11.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by murph64
          The one I have is B&S #11.

Andy

Yeah, I think I have one kicking around here somewhere too. Whatever the taper is, it's not anything currently common so they're kind of a PITA to tool up.

Hmmm, now I'm wondering if my KO LEE head might also be the same taper, but it has a sleeve to adapt to a 5C collet taper. That's why I use the KO LEE and not the Unihead.

Comment

must be a hybrid...

Thanks for the replies!
            Evidently the RW versions used the same base casting (except for the name). I just looked at one that has "Unihead" cast into the base and the business end has jaws similar to the offshore knock-off.

Harry
            I don't do drugs.
            At my age, I can get the same effect if I stand up too quick!

Comment

A detail no one has mentioned. Neither are meant for use on a milling machine. Both are grinding fixture and lack the rigidity for milling.

Comment

Yes,I recall the univise literature from the 60's,for grinding tools. I have an old,but unused univise now.

Comment

Working...
                X