No announcement yet.

Weld stainless to aluminum? Oops.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like it Andy! Problem is, it would make me thirsty every time I looked at it
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
      I like it Andy! Problem is, it would make me thirsty every time I looked at it

That would quickly change if you smelled the aroma of who knows how old of beer that was inside.
      Andy

Comment

Works perfect, tested it yesterday to do an oil change on my 7.3 excursion. 16 quarts. If the engine is warm I have found that it is very easy to find how full the keg is within a inch just by feeling the temperature with a finger on the side of the keg. The 16 quarts filled the keg about half way. I even dumped out the waste oil back into the oil containers without any problems. The handles on the keg worked out very nice for emptying. Didn't spill a drop the entire ordeal!
        Andy

Comment

Aluminium is soluable in stainless as it happens, its soluable in plain carbon steel too, in fact its soluability is vital as most of the steel in the world is Aluminium Killed! [there are other ways too like calcium, titanium and so on]
          turns out that aluminium is used as an oxygen scavanger when making steel
          First you make iron in a blastfurnace [there are other ways too but a blastfurnace is the most common] then you take your iron with up to 5% Carbon and reduce the carbon with a jet of Oxygen, that gets rid of the carbon by enlare by turning it into CO [carbon monoxide], problem is then the liquid steel has a massive amount of dissolved oxygen, in the distant past this was just poured into an open topped mould called an ingot, poor quality porus mot that good, it was called a rimming steel [named after the 'boiling' reaction around the rim of the mould as the dissolved gas was forced out by the solidification process.
          some time later experiments found that throwing a few bags of aluminium pellets in would accelerate the oxy removal, the oxy would combine with the ali to form Aluminium Oxide Al2O3, and a whole lot of heat [later iron ali compounds were developed called thermite after the exothermic reaction and rapid temp rise].
          The reaction is violent at 1400 -1600 degrees and causes the cast to foam up. some bright spark[pun] thought it a good idea to trap the reaction in a closed mould called a bottle top mould, the steel was poured into the mould, several bags of ali thrown in, a steel 'lid' or bottletop after its shape was dropped on the mould and a bar slid through two eyes on the top of the mould, the reaction would commence and fairly soon the dangerous bit would arrive, we record the time to 'hit top', you could see the lid lift and the bar start to bend under the extrime pressure, some would explode, blow off and hit the ceiling about 100 feet up, or some would eject jets of liquisd steel in any direction, the teeming stage was a dangerous place to work, we all ended up burnt regularly!
          anyway back to the steel, if you look at ferrous chemisty of any AK, or TK steel you will find that there are always 2 figures on the spec, Total Aluminium and Dissolved aluminium the latter is always higher than the former, thats the risidual ali left after manufacture, carbon steel coats with aluminium quite nicely so its not a big surprise if got it to stick, there are loads of ali coated strip steel geades for stuff like car exhausts [Bosal exhasts] some cans, petrol tanks [now with an added lead layer as well called terne plate], however apart from some of the friction stir welds between these 2 metals i woold not expext a weld of any structural strength, but it'll stick!
          regards
          mark

Comment

Just updating, I have used the oil drain about 10 times now and it is nice! The top with the lip around is great for holding tools, rags, and parts! Oil drains nice and fast. The crease that happened in the pan when I was trying to dish it works great for holding oil filters just off the bottom of the pan so they can drain out. I have yet to spill even a drop of oil on the floor, I love it!
            Andy

Comment

So what did you finaly end up using to bond the SS and aluminum pipe?
              Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
                So what did you finaly end up using to bond the SS and aluminum pipe?

Still just the RVT sealing it up. The tube was a near press fit into the keg snout. Welding on it just made it that much tighter.
                Andy

Comment

Working...
                X