OT-Computer problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT-Computer problem

Did a clean reinstall of Windows Vista today.Everything is going back as it should,except for the printer software.

I downloaded the drivers and software from Lexmark,but when I got to open and run the installation I get a error message "can't create output file".

Any clues?
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Presumably you've tried to right-click and then select "run as administrator" trick?

Another one i use on occasion is to start windows in safe mode (press f5 or f8 at startup - can never remember which one) and then try to install?

Other than that i'm out of ideas - i work on unix/linux systems for my day job and have relatively little troubleshooting experience on MS software...

Batt

Comment

If you are fortunate enough to get an actual error message, searching google will likely find others that had the same problem.

Comment

Well guys did all that and still not working thanks though,better than setting the machine on fire which was my first impulse

Anymore Ideas,I'm thoroughly stumped.
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

shot in the dark may work, may not ..
          try putting a program called reg-cure on the machine , it fixes registry errors and bad file paths

scan and see what happens after you "fix errors" with it

all the best.markj

Comment

One other thing you could try it to run the printer software before connecting the printer as some drivers just dont load properly the normal way!

Had the very sam thing happen with a network card yesterday!
            Just a thought!
            Peter
            I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Comment

Well, if it worked before...

Either try patching fully, inc the service packs, and then the driver. Or, if you did that, then install vista, the driver, and then patch.

My wife's laptop runs vista (I hate it but she wants it... as we all know, 'she' always wins and we deal with the mess). Anyway, it took about 5 tries to get the service pack and all the updates in. Took all day, including having to download and run a stupid windows tool that checks your system for the service pack and, supposedly, does some magic to make it work.

Your particular issue sure sounds like it's related to permissions. The driver install is trying to write a file somewhere that it's not allowed to. Safe mode and/or run as administrator... in Win7 you can re-enable the local admin account and login with that to deal with these issues... not sure about vista. Never needed to, never checked, and I'm not about to reboot out of Ubuntu to test it out (using my wife's laptop while we're travelling right now).

Oh, as a born-again Linux convert, I'm obligated to add this... if you don't need some particular Windows application, you should download and try the Ubuntu live CD. Try it without touching your hard drive. If you like it, you can install with one button, alongside or over-top Windows. For over 90% of computing needs (WAG stat there), it works better than Windows. If you don't need high-end drivers for your printer (photo-grade colour prints), drivers for some other speciality hardware, or some specific application that you don't want to run under Wine (Windows under Linux - works okay for many things, including SketchUp), then it's worth a shot. Free and actually a whole lot easier to install, maintain, and use. And, but wait - there's more, you get a rather large collection of very nice applications with it, everything from 2D CAD to movie editing, to, well, thousands... all free. I can't say as I'm happy with the new Unity desktop the latest version comes with, but it's Linux so you can switch to the classic gnome desktop (my fav) or KDE (which feels more windows-like --- might get shot down for saying that), or a whole bunch of other ones too. Linux is about choice. With Windows, you get the new desktop (the user interface) when you upgrade to a new version, whether you like it or not. With Linux, you choose among many, some awesome, some crappy. Multiply that by 100 and you get Linux: freedom to choose, freedom to change, and free to use.
              http://fixerdave.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
              X