This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gota new toy today that was on sale

new digitial level have been wating for long time to get this puppy now its mine muhaaaaaaaaa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E7AenIOajY

You wouldn’t be suggesting that’s an instrument for checking a lathe bed would you?

This would be it here.

http://les4reines.votreboutiquepro.c...36652c4d2796d7

Accuracy of + / - 0.1 of a degree. On a 9 inch long level like that, wouldn’t that equate to about 16 thou per division? Its hardly surprising the lathe in that video is perfect in every way.

Phil.

Comment

A very handy tool but not in the same league as a Precision Machinists Level and certainly not suitable for measuring twist in the bed of a lathe with its smallest reading being around .021"/ft.

Comment

The fellow in the video uses some good technique and his narrative shows he has the proper concepts in mind. His selection of a level however leaves something to be desired. As Mactool mentioned, 0.1 degrees is far too coarse in sensitivity for checking machine tool alignment. 0.1 degrees equals about 0.017 in ten inches or 6 minutes. The usual standard is 10 arc seconds or 0.0005in 10 inches. Nice instrument, though, probably very handy for general shop use and slope determinations but far too low in sensitivity for machine tool alighments.

One unfortuante quirk in a digital level is it cannot be interpolated. What it registers is what you get. There is also a least significant digit error. Theoretically, the instrument's display won't trigger at 0.049 degrees where it registers 0.0. At 0.050 degrees it will trigger and the display will read 0.1 degrees. 1/100 of a degree difference at the "trigger point" gets you a 0.1 degree change in display reading.

OTH a spirit level can be interpolated to a far greater accuracy than its calibration lines would indicate. A 10 arc second master presision level if read with care and using reversal technique can be read to 1 arc second.

A small bench lathe may be leveled and aligned with a Starrett 98 which registers in graduations of 0.005" per ft because one who is careful and employs good technique can read it to 0.001" per ft maybe closer.

BTW, didn't the fellow in the video stop in the middle of successive readings to punch buttons on his digital level? I saw the display change several times. What was that about? How does he know he didn't screw up previous readings?
        Last edited by Forrest Addy; 06-21-2011, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Forrest Addy
          BTW, didn't the fellow in the video stop in the middle of successive readings to punch buttons on his digital level?
          That’s about the point I thought it was prudent to say something.

I thought he said he was “resetting” it. I don’t have one of those levels myself, but I figured it was akin to zeroing the instrument at whatever inclination it happened to be at, at that time. Much like a Digital caliper can be zeroed anywhere along the beam.

At one point he did rotate it 180 degrees end for end, but not in the same location. I’d have liked to see what it read at the same location, but it seems he rotated it so the display was easier to read from under the spindle.

Mind you with that resolution I doubt it would change at all.

I’d just add, when he was measuring those 4 + degree readings across the top of the front vee way & touching the edge of the rear flat. That’s not a particularly relevant test.

Phil

Comment

as usuall there are thoes that must pick on the chinese lathe and dont belive that it can be in good shape for its age and miliage, the digitial level is the best way to check bed level/twist as to rely on just a bubble level would be dumb..

i know other machinest that have this sort of level and they are the ones that reccomended this level to me as it the closest your going to get , the sensativity of this level is extreamly sensitive.. the specs ill have to post so thoes that are asumming as usual can read up a bit on it,

you can hang a lathe on a wall verticial and it will still turn metal accuratly i know i guy pretty good he is also and X navy machinest iam sure he could teach us a a few things oh waite he did teach me a few nice tricks , anyhow iamnot being rude here ,

but my concern was bed twist and if you take all the equations including my shed and then compensate for all that then my lathe is about as straight as it can get, which tells me i was right and that there was nothing wronge with it in the first place.. ummmmmmmm

i tried restting setting the level in the video and it made no difference at all

i had also done all the same tests before i did the video same results

if you want to know how much degrees a bed is out by then you need a level like this in order to check that so ummmm im thinking i got the right tool for the job,

Comment

isn't the OP the fellow in the video?

Comment

Originally posted by airsmith282
                as usuall there are thoes that must pick on the chinese lathe and dont belive that it can be in good shape for its age and miliage,
                what post here do you possibly get that from?

the digitial level is the best way to check bed level/twist as to rely on just a bubble level would be dumb
                ok then, the smallest resolution doesn't factor in, its just better because its digital. Would you trade a mitutoyo indicating mic for a Canadian Tire digital vernier? Come on Kevin, you know better.
                Last edited by Mcgyver; 06-21-2011, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Airsmith, according to the readings you got from you digital level your lathe bed is badly twisted in the middle. I think you need to study up on lathe alignment and leveling techniques before posting and making unqualified statements.

Comment

i know i guy pretty good he is also and X navy machinest iam sure he could teach us a a few things oh waite he did teach me a few nice tricks ,
                    Too bad he can't teach you spelling, grammar and sentence structure.

If "bubble levels" are so useless (Starrett 98's, 99's, 199's and similar), how come so many machine errectors own them and depend on them for setting up a machine and removing twist from the bed?

Comment

I always like airsmith's posts, they are so entertaining!

I do have to wonder if some of you ever feel like you are when you try to educate him.
                      Oh well, back to the show!

Comment

I was wondering if his new toy was made from a BILLET. That would explain a lot.

Brian
                        OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

And another video teaching future generations incorrectly. I often wonder how as technology advances, how much of the knowledge it is based upon is lost.
                          "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

I doubt airsmith will ever learn anything. No mention of his Chinese late was made. Just a poor attempt on his part to deflect the advice given him. The point is,the level just isn't sensitive enough,but he will just ignore the facts,as usual. Now that he's BOUGHT the level,it is going to be the greatest tool in his opinion,because he COULDN't just have wasted his money!! THAT would be unforgivable!!
                            I have both the Starrett 12" mechanic's level,and their master level. I'd take the mechanic's level(still a fine level) over the digital any day.

I won't even use a digital caliper,because you only get 1/2 thou. accuracy. On an analog,I can easily see 1/4 thou.. Of course,a mic is the real tool for very accurate measurement,but I think most,except airsmith,will see my point.
                            Last edited by gwilson; 06-21-2011, 11:53 AM.

Comment

the digitial level is the best way to check bed level/twist as to rely on just a bubble level would be dumb..
                              So how have machinists, for the last 150 years, leveled lathes?
                              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Working...
                              X