Sort of OT: Clean & Oil Battery Movement Watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sort of OT: Clean & Oil Battery Movement Watch

Anyone know how to clean and oil a battery movement (second hand and date) watch)? No one in my area knows how (they all send them out), and $100 sounds pricey to me, but what do I know? Is this something a reasonably skilled HSMer can/should tackle?

and what would "my area" be?

Comment

Adirondack Park, northern New York, equidistant from everything.

Comment

I worked as a watch repairman-jewler for 3 years as a pro and several more as a hobby.this is not something you want to do at home.First is to take all the movement apart.WAsh with the correct cleaner.Rinse off with a fast drying liquid.Clean all pivots with a pith cleaner.Clean all the pivot bearings with a bearing cleaning stick.Then you get to put it all back together again.Oil with watch oil (a special refined oil)putting a very small amount in each pivot and its bearing.It takes good vision and very steady hands.

Comment

You may foul up the watch royally so that it may not run at all!! Really,better off getting a watch guy to do it. He has the special needle oilers,proper oils,and experience to do it right. I wouldn't try that. I'd end up having to have the whole watch taken apart for $$$$.

Comment

Working...
          X