foot pedal design?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• foot pedal design?

On my sheep shearing machine I have three functions I need to control with foot pedals.

I started to go the electric route but decided it was not necessary. Then I thought maybe to use motorcycle brake cables attacted to the levers on normal hand operated hydraulic valves. That would be quite simple to do and not expensive.

Then I had a thought!!!! What about making hydraulic pedals to actuate the valve levers. Picture a hydraulic hose with a fitting on each end that acts like a hydraulic cylinder. Push in one end and the other end on the hose pushes out. Spring return. Sort of miniture one way hydraulic cylinders connected by a hose. Not too complicated to build the cylinders and a interesting machining experience.

Isn't that sort of how brake pedals work?

So??
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Hi BF if you don't need high force or precise movement, how 'bout pneumatics? air's a lot cheaper than oil and don't make a mess when it leaks besides, you can use mechanisms like bladders instead of machining cylinders and pistons and O-ring grooves, and........ and....... picture a bladder of some kind under the pedal and a corresponding actuator at the other end cheap, light, easily fixed in the field
    Just got my head together
    now my body's falling apart

Comment

You can get Hyd foot pedals that replace the solenoid valve entirely, they have the appearance of an electric F.P.
      The advantage with the electric P.B. idea is that you can start a sequence and walk away if preferred.
      Max.

Comment

Yes, just get hydraulic valve pedals... no need to reinvent!

Comment

Maybe you could whip something up from a hydraulic brake set for a mountain bike, that is probably not too expensive.

Igor

Comment

There are hydraulic brakes on mountain bikes? I will have to google that and have a look.
            How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Wish you were closer, I could sell you this pair of al-u-minium foot pedals, ready to machine up to your own specs.

A former employer of mine had a batch of about 50 of these cast, he wanted custom pedals for his Cessna 310. I had put together a website for him to sell off the ones he didn't need, I was paid for my work with a pair of them that I don't need.

Comment

Here you go, Bruce---
                http://www.davidbrownhydraulics.com/...1d58d774d4.pdf
                Brian Rupnow

Comment

youll be wanting rexroth in germany, very good pedals with a 3-2 spool or any other permutation
                  mark

Comment

Just one thing to add, based on my life at a scrounger----Many small "foreign" cars had hydraulically operated clutch linkages. The clutch pedal activated a hyd. cylinder, which forced hydraulic fluid thru a tube to a "slave" cylinder which operated the clutch fork.
                    Brian Rupnow

Comment

Sounds.. excessively complicated.

Id recommend: Hydraulic footpedal

Or foodpedal that controls a chain, Or bicycle brake cable linkage (wire in tube), connected to whatever hydraulic controls you have handy.

Alternatively, just screw a pedal onto a standard hand control, And try not to step on it too hard (idealy add some stops to support any extra weight. Feet can stomp hard without realising)
                      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

used a pneumatic system once, came from either farnell or rs, pedal had a length of tube to a dinrail mount rair relay, think it may have been festo, it was cheap i know
                        http://www.herga.com/foot_switches/
                        mark

Comment

Could you post a picture of the sheep shearing machine.
                          There are 40 million sheep here that have never seen one and asked if I would ask for a picture. My pig was interested too
                          My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Comment

Working...
                          X