Pile Driver (Model)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pile Driver (Model)

Last night I couldn't sleep. Rather than counting sheep (which doesn't work anyways) I started casting about for interesting things I could drive with some of my model engines. So far I have designed and posted the Slinky Machine, and it was a big hit. People also liked the Pumpjack oil pumping model which I designed, built, and posted.(although I haven't seen anyone else build one). Recently I built and posted the Bubble Machine, which is cute. I didn't post plans, because it was so simple that anyone could replicate it after seeing the pictures and video. Two lots down from my house they are digging the basement for a new house with a large excavator, and for half an hour I persued thoughts of building a working model of that, but gave up---Just too many motions to replicate. Then I thought ---"Hey---What about a pile driver." That one would be fairly simple. I'm thinking an aluminum column/tower with a small chain sprocket at the base and a nylon top shoe for the chain to slide around. The "sliding hammer" would be a section of mild steel rod with a nylon guide attached which slid up and down rails in one face of the column. The roller chain could have a rare earth magnet attached to it so that as the bottom sprocket rotated and the chain moved up the tower, the rare earth magnet would pull the sliding hammer to the top of the tower. Then when the chain passed over the top shoe, the magnet would be pulled away from the slide hammer and it would fall to the base of the tower on the guides, thus "driving" the piling. This motion would keep repeating itself. A small gear reduction unit would probably be needed at the bottom drive sprocket. I think this would make an interesting display and could be driven by an air, steam, or I.C. engine.---Anybody interested?----Brian
    Brian Rupnow

At the risk of piling on someone else's idea ...

Would a diesel pile driver be possible? Essentially a two stroke diesel cycle with a free piston firing at the bottom of each stroke.
    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

My son, all things are possible---But not on this small a scale model. The sliding weight wouldn't have enough mass to raise the deisel fuel to combustion temperature. The sliding weight in this case will only be a maximum diameter of 5/8" x about 3" long with a fall of 1 foot.
      Brian Rupnow

Comment

The sliding weight wouldn't have enough mass to raise the deisel fuel to combustion temperature.
        So put a model airplane engine glow plug in the chamber and use glow fuel. Maybe the compression would be high enough for that.
        Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
        ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

You just have to make a cylinder/piston small enough to get the required compression

The pile driver idea sounds nice, would like to see one though I'm not so much in to building models but I do like to admire them and the workmanship. Especially loved that hit'n'miss you built Brian!
          Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

They make air hammers too. A lot of dock builders around here use them. We use the big deisel ones at work for concrete pile.

Comment

One problem with the pile drive diesel concept is the energy required to compress the gas in the cylinder subtracts from the energy available to drive the pile.

Comment

Yall must be awfully young not to remember the Vulcan steam hammers.
                Build this one:
                http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...spx?id=1404135
                I remember seeing this at work.

Comment

I'm up to my Ying Yang in engines, both air and Internal Combustion types. I'm sure that many other model builders out there are the same as me. The nice thing about all of these other "contraptions" that I like to design and build, is that they can be driven by either type of engine, and make fantastic displays at county fairs, etcetera. Everybody likes to see their engines "doing something".---And yes, I am "awfull young"!!!!----I'll be 65 in 2 weeks. I do remember the steam trains from when I was a kid, but can't honestly say I ever remember seeing a steam hammer.
                  Brian Rupnow

Comment

Okay---We're off and running!!! I went over to Princess Auto this afternoon and bought two 16 tooth #35 pitch sprockets, a ten foot length of #35 pitch roller chain, (this may be the same as bicycle chain, I'm not sure), two master links, and three 3/4" diameter "rare earth magnets". for the princely sum of $25 including the hated 13% "harmonized sales tax". I'm going to have to be clever and build a mount for one of the rare earth magnets to attach to one of the master links, and have it so it will still roll around the sprocket without binding in any way.
                    Brian Rupnow

Comment

Well, Ya gotta start somewhere, so first off we create a 3D model of the sprocket----
                      Brian Rupnow

Comment

The first thing I have to establish is how I'm going to mount the magnet to a link of the chain and still have the chain travel freely around the sprocket. I think I can make up a magnet mount to silver solder to an outer chain link and then epoxy the magnet to the mount---
                        Last edited by brian Rupnow; 06-27-2011, 06:52 PM.
                        Brian Rupnow

Comment

Awesome!!!!!

Comment

Brian

Here are a couple of photos of old donkey engine running apile driver.

Dave

Comment

At a quick glance, I think a model somewhere in the range of 18 to 20" tall is where this may end up at. I may go to 2 magnets arranged equal distances apart on the chain, to double the number of "hits" in one complete revolution of the chain. The chain isn't going to be moving all that fast, but the 'hammer" will free-fall when released by the magnet.
                              Brian Rupnow

Comment

Working...
                              X