Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wood saw riving knife from old saw blade??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wood saw riving knife from old saw blade??

I seem to recall someone here made a riving knife from an old circular saw blade.I suspect these would be perfect as the riving knife should be the thickness of the saw plate but not the kerf anyone remember this or offer advice on how it could be cut as these (see ad on ebay) are expensive for what they are? Alistair

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Riving-Knife-/...item4148e85fb6
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

The (commercially made) riving knife on my saw is .100" -- maybe plus .001"

Personally, I'd think it easier to just buy a piece of steel the right thickness; though no doubt there are some older blades the right thickness and without the sort of heat treating that might have them warping if a riving-knife-sized chunk were cut out of them.

Comment

i don't think the US guys use them a lot ..they don't seem to be in place in a lot of American woodwork tv programes

there are two sorts ..the static ones that you have to move and adjust every time you bring the blade up ..and the ones that come up with the blade .

all the best.markj

Comment

watched them being made in the lutz factory, they were just plain mild steel 1/8" plate on a power press, dressed on a linisher, nowt special
        mark

Comment

Alistair,

I made a riving knife for a 12" Startrite saw table, used a piece of ground gauge plate from these people: http://www.ground-flat-stock.co.uk/ - really nice company to work with, went there, they gave me half their offcuts bin for a few quid. They sell gauge plate in all kinds of dimensions in 18" or 36" lengths - I found exactly what I wanted.

Ian
          All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon
            i don't think the US guys use them a lot ..they don't seem to be in place in a lot of American woodwork tv programes

there are two sorts ..the static ones that you have to move and adjust every time you bring the blade up ..and the ones that come up with the blade .

all the best.markj
            I've mentioned this (as have many foreign readers) to Fine Woodworking magazine editors and the response has been in agreeance, yet nothing ever seems to change. Sometimes they'll fob a response off along the lines that the guards have been "removed for clarity". BS, I have a guard and knife on my saw and if I can cut perfectly well with it I reckon they can take a photograph of the same! I wouldn't dream of operating a saw without both and don't find it any inconvenience whatsoever. As you say, I think it's a cultural thing but with the extraordinary number of circular saw accidents in the US each year hopefully one that will change. I saw the actual number a while back and although I can't recall it now I was frankly staggered, yet the answer seems to be litigation instead of simple devices like well designed knives and guards. Even my German portable circular saw (Festool) has a built in riving knife that drops down!

Pete

Comment

Thanks Mark But Pete is correct you definitely need them running a saw without them is asking for trouble. Thanks guys Alistair
              Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Working...
              X