UFO's!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UFO's!

So last night I was out chasing a lightning bug for my kids around 10pm. I noticed a plane flying over and because I am completely fascinated with planes and flying I watched it for awhile until it disappeared over the trees to the west. So I continued on following and watching the one lightning bug I've seen about 20 feet off the ground waiting for it to descend. Then over the same trees the plane disappeared I saw what looked like landing lights on a plane. I didn't think much of it because there is a small airport in town and I see planes come from this direction with landing lights on all the time. After a minute or so I was watching it again waiting to see a flash or blink of some kind of other (marker?) lights on the plane but didn't see any. Watched a little longer till it got strait over head which by that time you pretty much always see some sort of other flashing light if its a plane but still nothing. The light was as white as a bright star and lit up like landing lights (bright). It was moving slow, slower then the planes I normally see coming in, defiantly slower then a satellite. Slow enough that even with the trees all over in the back yard I was able to watch it for a good 5 minutes or more. Hard to tell how far up it was but when I moved back and forth I could see the stars in the background move back and forth behind the light and it seemed to me to be about the same distance up as a small single engine plane would be. Dead silent the whole time as well.

Swamp gas and weather balloon and stuff?

Back 15 years ago or so I saw three red lights in the sky east of us moving about like nothing I have ever seen before as well. left, right, up, down, sideways like nothing. As if a LED was on the end of a stick that you could wave around.

Just felt like I had to share. Like I said it has been quite some time since I saw something in the sky I couldn't explain.
    Andy

Sounds like you should stay in the comfort and safety of the shop!

Seriously though, when I was in the military I saw quite a few aircraft do things I never thought possible prior. Im sure there is an explanation, but good luck being an average schmo and finding it now thanks to terrorism and "security" precautions on everything. Its a strange and wonderful age we live in my friend, but Im not too worried about lil gray men yet.
    "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

I was headed home one night stone sober. From a hill to my right a large ball shaped object brightly lit, with a (flaming?) tail like a comet, moved very slowly(jogging speed) across the road about 300 feet up. I stopped the car and rolled down my window and stuck my head out. Slight ffffffffffff noise. Did not drop altitude!! Went 100% dark then back on tail and all then off again and that was it. Maybe watched it 45 seconds to 1 1/2 min.

Never seen anything like it before or since. Can't explain it. Could not understand why it didn't loose altitude.

I actually wish I had never seen it. Knowing I was not drunk, on drugs, or an UFO freak makes it worse. Having something that completely defies all my understanding of how things are is not welcome. It leaves me with questions that no one can answer. FWIW Abner.

Comment

Abner. It was most likely an natural phenomenon or someone having a giggle.
        When my brother and I went fishing up in the UP we sometimes stayed up late to mess with the people waiting to catch the ,"Paulding Lights"

Comment

Some small planes can find a 40mph headwind, go to the 42 mph stall speed and hover in relation to the ground.. the wind across the wings continues at stall speed or greater.

I have been trying to remember what "spotter plane" would stall at 42mph...??? Used in the vietnam conflict?? or?? It was a common low cost trainer for US students.. Cessena 40 comes to mind, but I am not sure..

Remember the triangle UFO's on television?? they still show them shows even thou the stealth fighter and bomber has been revealed..
          Last edited by Dawai; 06-29-2011, 10:19 AM.
          Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustybolt
            Abner. It was most likely an natural phenomenon or someone having a giggle.
            When my brother and I went fishing up in the UP we sometimes stayed up late to mess with the people waiting to catch the ,"Paulding Lights"

The Paulding light! I was there with a group of friends. We followed the highlines for miles flashing a light back to the "spot" where we had a spotter letting us know if he could see our light yet or not. People at the spot were complaining I guess. LOL Interesting enough the lights were red or yellowish white forever until HID's came out, now all of a sudden there is a blue light too!
            Andy

Comment

My Ufo Story

Back in July of 1988 my wife and I were at our cottage enjoying a week of vacation. My wife went down by the lake to prepare for a campfire and I was a few minutes behind her.

When I got there she pointed to the south and asked me what I thought that light in the sky was. I looked and saw that it was moving around slightly but not coming any closer. It looked to be maybe 20 miles away.

I told her it was probably a chopper hovering or a jet heading to the airport in Grand Rapids.

But it didn't come closer even after we watched it for 10 or 15 minutes.

Finally it started to come closer. As it got close enough to get a better look, it looked like a 747 or larger but with no fuselage. Just a flying wedge.

It had 4 white lights on front and 4 red lights in the rear and the whole outline was was quite visible against the night sky.

The most eerie thing about it was that we could also hear it. IT SOUNDED LIKE A TOP LIKE I HAD AS A CHILD BUT WITH A VERY LOW PITCH WHIRR.

It moved slowly over our heads and started to go behind the trees so I started toward our dock so I could continue to watch it.

My wife yelled at me to get back here. I told her if they wanted to pick me up I was game. What better way to leave this planet than on a ride like that.

I went to the end of the dock and saw it go from looking like it was a half a mile away to looking like it was hundreds of miles away in just a few seconds. The other odd thing is that the whirring sound didn't increase in frequency like you would expect but just got quieter until I couldn't hear it any more.

We went up to the cottage and called the state police post and I asked them if they had any reports of strange sightings in the southern sky. As I explained what my wife and I had just witnessed, I could hear them snickering in the background. They told me to call the sheriffs office as they were south and the state police post was north of us.

I got the same snickering from them. They suggested I call the airport in GR and see if anyone in the control tower had seen anything similar. I had been laughed at enough for one night so I declined that call.

Over the next week or so I related this story to a few co-workers and family members and got a lot of comments about doing good drugs or how much we were drinking. There was no drugs or alcohol involved.

Over the last 20 years or so I have spent considerable time thinking about this and trying to explain in my mind what we had seen but I still have no idea. I rarely tell the story because it seems to bring about ridicule.

I had even thought about starting a thread here about it but decided otherwise. Now our story is out. Believe what you want. I still don't know what to believe except what my own eyes saw and my own ears heard.

Brian
              OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by Abner

Knowing I was not drunk, on drugs, or an UFO freak makes it worse.

Geeze I don't know - I seen one many years ago while high as a kite and it really didn't make it any better, even rented an airplane the next week to go look for it with one of my pilot friends, I seen huge pieces of stuff on fire and falling to the ground - they were NOT flares - they were random HUGE chunks of stuff and I had hills in the background to gauge distance and I marked the area and direction on the side of the road, I hiked for many days in the area where I should have found something charred - I risked hiking on private land, then in the plane seen nothing unusual, it was very strange and about drove me nuts...
                This stuff acted like it was like the skin of a craft or something and the way it fell was like it was at the mercy of air currents that was helping to rock it side to side and pick up random speed and stall some all while it was on fire - total gravity and air resistance at work all the way down...

wasn't really a UFO - unless the abbreviation includes unidentified falling/flaming object...
                Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 06-29-2011, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Now you're in for it Andy -- the men in suits are on their way to your house in black SUV's and silent helicopters.

Tomorrow you'll be walking funny, and telling everyone it was swamp gas and weather balloons.
                  "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Andy,

I have seen the exact same thing. One night I was driving back to town from the town 75 miles north of us. It's a road with some very long straight stretches. I saw a very bright light that appeared directly ahead of me just over the trees. I was just hanging there with no apparent motion. I stopped to have a better look and it wasn't moving at all and it made no sound. I stood and watched it for around 5 minutes and it still didn't change that I could see.

I got back in and resumed driving toward it and it still hung over the trees. I couldn't determine how far away it was because there was nothing to use as a reference. After driving for another ten minutes it finally started to move higher in the sky, slowly. Then in just another couple of minutes it passed over head quickly.

It was the Dash-7 Dehavilland commuter plane that flies between the towns in a straight line at an altitude of about 5000 feet. It keeps its landing lights on the entire time because neither of the airports are controlled. It was flying directly toward me the entire time and when I first spotted it it must have been only a few minutes after it had taken off. It's about a 20 minute flight and during that entire time it didn't seem to change position because it was coming toward me on what amounts to a collision course until it was very close.

When you are flying in an aircraft and you are on a collision course with another aircraft that isn't maneuvering it will have no apparent motion relative to yourself. It will be fixed in the sky as if it were a spot on your canopy or windshield right up to the time just before you collide.

Brian,

Sounds to me like a blimp. There are quite a few people experimenting with different designs for blimps to carry cargo and to use in heavy lift jobs.

As for other unexplained lights in the sky, one day for fun I went to the airport here and asked the flight services manager ( a good friend of mine) for a standard weather balloon. These are used to determine the ceiling since they are filled to a standard lift capacity of 4 ounces. By doing that they always rise at a given rate and the ceiling is measured by how long it takes for it to disappear in the clouds. They are about 3 feet in diameter.

That evening I attached a bright flashing lightbulb to it powered by the foil battery from a Polapack film cartridge. The lamp was a couple of watts so it could be seen for miles. I let it go and the last I saw of it was at maybe 10,000 feet and ten miles to the west. Those balloons burst at about 15000 feet so it would have come down shortly afterward.
                    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                      One night I was driving back to town from the town 75 miles north of us. It's a road with some very long straight stretches. I saw a very bright light that appeared directly ahead of me just over the trees. I was just hanging there with no apparent motion. I stopped to have a better look and it wasn't moving at all and it made no sound. I stood and watched it for around 5 minutes and it still didn't change that I could see.

I got back in and resumed driving toward it and it still hung over the trees. I couldn't determine how far away it was because there was nothing to use as a reference. After driving for another ten minutes it finally started to move higher in the sky, slowly. Then in just another couple of minutes it passed over head quickly.
                      Street light pole?
                      Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

What's that?
                        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

When I was a teenager, there was a long dirt road where an old railroad track through a swamp had been. It was a popular spot for us to go to see the "Summerville lights". The phenomen is documented here:
                          http://southcarolinaghost.tripod.com...ries/id14.html

I saw the lights (actually swamp gas from decomposing vegetation burning) several times. I'm sure lots of odd stories (and a fair number of people) were conceived there.
                          Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Lubbock Lights not UFO's

The first secret product of Lockheeds’ Skunk Works was the VTOL aircraft. The pilots for these underwent isolated and very stressful training. One night they were hovering in formation at 20,000 ft. and turned on their landing lights. Scared the *hit out of Lubbock, TX and much of the surrounding area. It was years before declassification and the story could be told.
                            Byron Boucher
                            Burnet, TX

Comment

"Abner. It was most likely an natural phenomenon or someone having a giggle.
                              When my brother and I went fishing up in the UP we sometimes stayed up late to mess with the people waiting to catch the ,"Paulding Lights">.."

I highly doubt it. I was bright enough to light the field below it substantially, not like daylight but very well lit. It would have taken a minimum of a 3/4 mile long cable to suspend this thing at the height it was. Given that it flew over a powerline I doubt even the best prankster would attempt to string a metal cable over that and live to talk about it. I estimate it to have been 3-4' in diameter. At first I suspected a large meteor but it held altitude and moved slow, no arc and no drop.

I was only about 400' feet away.

Every time I think about it I come back to the same set of problems; WTF was that thing? I simply don't know. I do know I cannot understand or explain it with my most extreme mechanical solution or wildest guess. I can be logical. I can be rational, and I really wish there was some reasonable explanation, any reasonable explanation. It did not and does not make sense with any physics I'm aware of. I personally enjoy the "you are insignificant and small" feeling I get when I witness some major storm or disaster. This was not that way, it was not a "cool" thing at all. I really wish I had never seen the damn thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X