Broken allen wrench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken allen wrench

Stupid me, twisted off one of those balled end allen wrenches. I was trying to make some modifications to my jeep and therefore need to take off some panels. Any clue how to get this puppy out? I should mention that the allen ball is loose, I am able to move it and rotate it a bit. I have tried a magnet, a super fine pointed pin, xacto knife etc.

-SD:
    Last edited by Smokedaddy; 07-01-2011, 02:30 PM.

Allen Wrench

Use a small pointed punch and hammer. Tap the allen wrench back the other way till it's loose. Remove with a magnet. Cool Jeep!
    Last edited by Toolguy; 07-01-2011, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Weld a nut on.

Comment

Jam the broken tip to one side of the bolt socket using a strip of brass or similar. Charge up a good sized capacitor and discharge it through a piece of wire brought to tough the center of the broken tip. You might get a good enough weld during one of these tries to enable pulling the tip out of the bolt. If you don't jam the tip tight before using the capacitor discharge method, you might just end up welding the tip into the bolt.

You're basically just spot-welding a pull rod to the broken tip. With the right procedure you can do it using the battery- you just have to have a method of giving a momentary contact so you can interrupt the current in about one second or so. Have a wire firmly attached to a piece of rod, lightly touch the rod to the broken tip, then give the momentary current pulse to the wire. The end of the rod should weld to the tip.
        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

... like I said, it is loose, I am able to move the broken piece pretty easy. The flathead allen bolt is stainless and I have tried a rare earth magnet. Welding might be the only option.

Comment

Option 1. Super glue the head of a finishing nail to it and pull it out.

Option 2. Turn the jeep upside down and shake til it falls out.

I'd try option 1 first.

Comment

You haven't seen Guido out there, have you?
              Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Spray it with a pressure washer.
                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Get a good sharp prick punch and use it to punch the flathead, going counterclockwise, on the flat surface to (hopefully) back the screw out. Throw the thing away, replace.

Comment

If you can get that good of a picture what in hell are you using a ball end for, they are for removing loosened allen bolts. You probably deformed the hex in the SS screw that's why it won't come out, TJMOTIFWIW

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl
                      Option 1. Super glue the head of a finishing nail to it and pull it out.

Option 2. Turn the jeep upside down and shake til it falls out.

I'd try option 1 first.
                      Option 3. Cut out the panel with a cutting torch.

Ditto on option 1.

Comment

Originally posted by duckman
                        If you can get that good of a picture what in hell are you using a ball end for, they are for removing loosened allen bolts. You probably deformed the hex in the SS screw that's why it won't come out, TJMOTIFWIW
                        I have no problem with being called a dumb ass, I just wanted some suggestions on how to get the allen key ball out of the flathead bolt. The picture was taken with a mirror and a flashlight is shinning on the flathead bolt.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
                        -SD:

Comment

Originally posted by Smokedaddy
                          I have no problem with being called a dumb ass, I just wanted some suggestions on how to get the allen key ball out of the flathead bolt. -SD:
                          Well that's what one gets when asking a bunch of gear head types. BTW, is there enough meat on the bolt head to use some Vice Grips?

The Super Glue suggestion may have some merit. You could also try to epoxy the end of a short metal rod/bolt to the head as a means to have something to grip.

Another thought is to use a cut off wheel in a Dremel type grinder and cut a straight screw driver slot.

BTW, nice looking Jeep.

Comment

This might be a dumb idea but why not just hit it with some compressed air?

(While pointing it away from you of course.)

Comment

I have found that a carbide bur in a dremel tool and lots of pressure will turn the ball head of the allen wrench blue, in other words take the temper out of it, and then you can drill it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X