Finding water, driving a point, rocks, your experience and tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding water, driving a point, rocks, your experience and tips

So I picked up a older pitcher pump from a yard sale and rebuilt it and will be giving it to my mother because she likes stuff like that. I would like to make it functional as well so I picked up a 1.25" point and 10' of pipe to start off. Now the problem I have is the area we live in is pretty much all rock from 3' to 100' down. I have been using a small stainless rod about 12 feet long to probe the ground to find whatever spots I can that I will miss the rocks and get at least 12' in. 3 days of probing I found 2 spots and both spots when I pulled the rod up the end looks like it was in dry clay. That brings up my next question, is there a way to check for water first before pounding the point in? Any tips to make the point go in easier?

I watched a few different videos and these two are interesting to me. Comments on these techniques as well?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGq0ETzZP0E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLgy8KPXme4
    Andy

Don't anybody suggest.. ummm... that thing people do with a couple of sticks.....
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
      Don't anybody suggest.. ummm... that thing people do with a couple of sticks.....
      I would, but it wouldn't make much difference. Water or not you're not going to make it through rock with a driven point.

Comment

The only place where I've seen a driven point work is in sandy soil. The last house I lived in had a single point for the water supply. I added 5 points, teed together to supply a 1&1/2 hp pump for the lawn. More than once, I backfed the house from this system when faced with pump problems. you did not need to find water,it was all around about 18 to 19 ft down. Never saw a point work in clay soil,the water just cannot flow through the soil fast enough. m personal experience for what it's worth. Bob.

Comment

I remember a thread talking about that and I tried it a little bit with a couple tig filler rods. I felt kind of dumb walking around holding two rods so I quit. lol

I am kind of curious if there is something I can put on the end of the 1/4" rod I am using to tell if it reaches water or not.
          Andy

Comment

Go look it up on Practical Machinst. In fact, just for fun start a thread on it over there.

I am kind of curious if there is something I can put on the end of the 1/4" rod I am using to tell if it reaches water or not.
            Drill a hole in the end and insert some metallic sodium.

Oh yeah, don't stand over the rod.
            Last edited by Evan; 07-01-2011, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Evan---My dad witched for water all over the area I grew up in, and was very succesfull at it. People would come from miles away to get dad to go to wherever they were going to build a new house and have him witch (some call it "douse") for water. He used a forked stick, cut from a young tree that had a pit bearing fruit. (as in peach, not apple or pear.) It never worked for me, and I always kind of scoffed at it. My dad was not a man to be trifled with, so he had me roll up my sleeves and hold the forked stick, and he walked along behind me, reaching over my shoulder and holding my wrists in his hands. When we walked over a vein of water, that damn stick suddenly took on a life of its own, almost ripping the skin off my palms. As soon as dad let go of my wrists, the stick was just a stick again. My uncle Jack Anderson witched for water with two copper rods about 18" long. he would hold one rod in each hand, by the ends, about 4" apart, parallel to each other and parallel to the ground as he walked along. When he walked over a vein of water, the rods would cross one and other.
              Brian Rupnow

Comment

There is water under the surface nearly everywhere, even in the desert. The trick is to prove that someone found the best spot. I can't recall anyone ever doing that.

Comment

Go look it up on Practical Machinst. In fact, just for fun start a thread on it over there.

Drill a hole in the end and insert some metallic sodium.

Oh yeah, don't stand over the rod.
                  You almost owed me a new laptop for that. I swallowed my beverage just in time before I spewed a mouthful on the keyboard.

Comment

Agree about the problem with driving a well point into clay, not good. However ,, probably not going to get down deep enough to break through the clay into a layer of water bearing gravel.

Water witching-or Dowsing,,,, A few well drillers mostly the older ones around here will still witch for a spot first, maybe a gimmick, maybe not,, but it does work, seen it react strongly many times,, a branch will not work for me but two metal rods do react.

As Brian stated,, i have used a branch that doesn,t work for me,, BUT-- a branch user did touch my arm, and the Branch did react good and strong , which i found quite amazing!!

Comment

Random observations

I'm a pretty skeptical person when it comes to" unexplained phenomena". I think a lot of it is fuzzy thinking and hysteria. To me, UFO's aren't proof of aliens - they are proof of "unidentified".

That said, at the insistence of my boss, I have walked around with "witching sticks" (bent welding rods) in my hands and had them turn 180* without my conscious intent. I don't know if the sticks were detecting an underground utility by magnetic fields/psychic energy/phlogiston or if I was subconsciously manipulating them in response to visual clues that I cannot see when I'm consciously looking for them. Going in, I thought it was all nonsense and hokum, but that assumption didn't stand up to the observed data. Something weird happened that doesn't fit my worldview.

Even worse, I haven't gotten to take a backhoe to those parking lots and farmer's fields and see if the pipes and wires were really there. So I'm left wondering what the hell was going on.

I hates me some unexplained phenomena.

Comment

A deceased neighbor was (from what people tell me) able to witch for water using a branched willow stick.
                        Andy

Comment

Hot dang, I can see another good thread coming.

Comment

Originally posted by vpt
                            A deceased neighbor was (from what people tell me) able to witch for water using a branched willow stick.

water zombies!

Comment

I don't know nuttin' about dowsing or witching or water zombies. It may be all due to phases of the moon or open neutrals or this week's Enco discount. All I know is that those bent welding rods whipped around without my conscious knowledge or intent, and I'm frustrated because I haven't gotten to excavate to see if there is really anything there underground.

I don't have an axe to grind - just an unexplained mystery that I don't have the means to explore definitively.

Where's the frustrated "GAAAAHHH!" smiley?

Comment

Working...
                              X