I need a bender.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a bender.

I need to bend some 2" wide .250" 5052 AL into a U shape with 2 90* angles the legs of the U will be longer than the middle section so my press brake will not work. What would be the best type bender to buy to make these bends this is something that I will be making a lot of but probably no more than 50 parts at a time so I don't mind a hand bender. I was thinking a compact bender like HF sells but I have never used one before. With that type bender is it easy to make precision bends and easily repeatable?

Thanks Mike
    Last edited by gundog; 07-09-2011, 05:11 AM.

Originally posted by gundog
    I was thinking a compact bender like HF sells... With that type bender is it easy to make precision bends and easily repeatable?
    Not really, but you can improve it by fabricating some kind of stops.
    Mike
    WI/IL border, USA

Comment

I've got that bender, and I would say it's "adequate" for minor home shop fab projects. Used it on my buggy, making stuff like my gates, lots of little projects. But if you're looking at something like repeating 50 piece runs, and a money making shop, I would be looking at a real Hossfeld (similar to the HF compact bender) or similar better quality units. I remember seeing one really nice, much heavier bender. Don't recall the name, but it was a major player like Diacro(?) or the like.
      Russ
      Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Why not just make a special punch and die set? Would be very simple to do.

Comment

What Baddog said. Hossfeld or Diacro #2 or #3 bender will do the trick. I think Northern Tool or Grizzly might sell knockoffs of the Hossfeld.

Comment

Originally posted by Boostinjdm
            Why not just make a special punch and die set? Would be very simple to do.
            I am not sure how I could make a punch die that would make 90* bends with spring back a 90* die would make less than 90* bends but I am not an expert that is why I am asking. Can you explain how it would work or show me a picture of one?

I've got that bender, and I would say it's "adequate" for minor home shop fab projects. Used it on my buggy, making stuff like my gates, lots of little projects. But if you're looking at something like repeating 50 piece runs, and a money making shop, I would be looking at a real Hossfeld (similar to the HF compact bender) or similar better quality units. I remember seeing one really nice, much heavier bender. Don't recall the name, but it was a major player like Diacro(?) or the like.
            I just looked at those Diarco benders I will contact them for pricing but they look very expensive. I don't mind spending money on good tools but I have to weigh that against how long it will take to recoup my money. I would rather buy a better tool than the HF version.

Thanks Mike
            Last edited by gundog; 07-03-2011, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Gundog some dimensions would help 2"x1/4" does not tell enough, leg length distance between legs and an other info would help. We use to make a channel out of 1/2" plate that they said we couldn't and showed them that it could be done it looked like a 8" square tube with about 5"s cut out of one side real tight 90°.

Comment

Not having all the lengths/dimentions ...I would be willing to say knock the 2 -90 degree bends in first , and then make a tool to go in your press, or pressbrake that would put in the U-bend you describe..it will take a little pattern development & experimentation...but if it is a recurring job of 50 parts , it will make for easy set-up & re-run later..probably less than an hour for 50 parts...Shawn

Comment

Something like this is easily made and stops could be added simply.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comment

This looks like something that would work but it is only rated for 1.18" x .375" material and I need 2" x .250" I am thinking I could buy this and make the dies to accommodate what I need what do you think? I will be bending AL and it is rated for mild steel so I don't think it would be too much for it. I also need to make the bend radius to not fracture the AL so a purpose built die should work. I could build the whole thing but I think the time spent would cost more than the tool.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PMAKA=130-5460

Here is another one after reading the description it looks like the die is high enough but I would still need to radius the corner.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Righ...-Bender/T10050

This one is interesting does anyone own one of these I have listed?

http://www.baileighindustrial.com/be...-bender-15.php

Mike
                    Last edited by gundog; 07-03-2011, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Buy a real hossfeld.
                      You wont be sorry.

A real hossfeld is made of good steel, critical parts are heat treated, tolerances are tight enough for it to work properly, and a huge array of dies are available to bend almost anything.

The crappy chinese ones are NOT hossfeld copies- they are Shop Outfitters copies. And the guys at Shop Outfitters dont understand whats good about a hossfeld- they left out a whole bunch of critical stuff when they designed their machine, and, these days, their bender is only a little bit cheaper than a real hossfeld.

A hossfeld no. 2, with basic tooling, now sells for $625. It will last your lifetime, and can be tooled up to ben almost anything. I bought mine used in 78. Its still in use daily.
                      http://www.hossfeldbender.com/bender...-tube-pipe.php

Its easy to set stops on it for degree of bend and location of bend. Its flexible, and will equally well bend this project, and your next one and your next one.

Di-acros are also great- but an equivalent sized Di-acro, new, is about 3 grand, versus $625 for the hossfeld. And Di-Acro tooling is more complex, more expensive, harder to make yourself, and much harder to find used.
                      Di-acro only stocks about 10% of the tooling they used to make.
                      Hossfeld will send you anything in their vast catalog.

If you find a rock bottom price on a Di-Acro WITH tooling, jump on it without hesitation. But the tooling is really really rare.
                      A Di-Acro is better for tubing, and for small scale precision bends- but it wont bend 1" x 4" flat bar hot, or 2" pipe for railings, or flat bar the hard way, or angle iron both flange in and flange out, or many of the other things a hossfeld will do without blinking.

Comment

How are you going to make the U-elbow with this bender?

Originally posted by Ries
                        A hossfeld no. 2, with basic tooling, now sells for $625. It will last your lifetime, and can be tooled up to ben almost anything. I bought mine used in 78. Its still in use daily.
                        http://www.hossfeldbender.com/bender...-tube-pipe.php
                        Ries, how would you use tube and pipe bender for the OP task? And the universal #2 without any tooling will be twice more expensive (five times with tooling).
                        Last edited by MichaelP; 07-03-2011, 02:35 PM.
                        Mike
                        WI/IL border, USA

Comment

JD Squared #3, about $300 bucks for manual
                          James Kilroy

Comment

Originally posted by gundog
                            I am not sure how I could make a punch die that would make 90* bends with spring back a 90* die would make less than 90* bends but I am not an expert that is why I am asking. Can you explain how it would work or show me a picture of one?

I have a few ideas on how it could be done. How big is this "U" and how accurate do the parts have to be?

Comment

Originally posted by jkilroy
                              JD Squared #3, about $300 bucks for manual
                              I was going to say that the Hossfeld looks like something you could fab in a weekend, but that JD Squared looks extremely well-built. By the time you add up the 1/2" stock and various fasteners, $295 is a bargain. Made in USA too.

https://www.jd2.com/p-32-model-3-bender.aspx

By the way, I have a Di-Acro finger brake, and although it's Made in USA, it's ancient (about 20 years old). When you look up replacement parts, Di-Acro asks if you have the USA version, or the Taiwanese version...
                              Last edited by lazlo; 07-03-2011, 02:53 PM.
                              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Working...
                              X