Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you make Threads on A Shaft?

Hey guys/ Gals....I would like to know how to make threads
    I want to make a spindle with 8 TPI .....1" Dia .

I have no Idea where to start

Danny

Assuming you have access to a lathe google "single point threading on a lathe". You'll get a lot of resources.

You can also search for single point threading on this site and sift through the various posts. There's a lot of information.

Comment

Danny,

I'd start by searching YouTube for threading videos. There are also several machining DVD's for sale advertised in the HSM magazine that you should consider. One other thing that is a "must have" is the "How to Run a Lathe" published by South Bend Lathe. I think it is available from http://www.lindsaybks.com/. If not look for it on the usual sites, EBay, Amazon, etc. Audel also offers a very good book on machining.

If there is a technical school that offers machining near by I highly recommend taking at least some of their classes. Threading is a fairly complex process that contains several items that must be accomplished and in the correct order. Another possibility is to find a helpful professional machinist or advanced amateur who is willing and able to help.

Stan
      Last edited by Dr Stan; 07-03-2011, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Go to YouTube and look up "Mrpete222" (retired machinist and high school shop teacher) he has over 100 videos on machining ,casting and general shop info including threading on a lathe. It's pretty straight forward once you try it.

Also get a copy of the Southbend book "How to run a lathe" (reprint), it will explain most of the general lathe operations including threading>
        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Here's the equivalent of "How to Run a Lathe" published by South Bend Lathe that Dr Stan and loose nut mentioned. It's a free pdf download.

http://bbssystem.com/viewtopic.php?t=89

Last edited by Mike Burdick; 07-03-2011, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Start out with some scrap metal

Watch a few videos and download the Tech manuals as everyone has suggested and then chuck up some scrap Al rounds and take the plunge and start threading on your lathe. You'll find some weaknesses of your machine, tool geometries, and methods, but at the same time you'll be building on the strengths as in "What works"

Graduate up to a soft steel but try to stay away from cold roll as even some of the old timers have trouble producing a descent finish on cold roll. Then try some SS.

You'll go through a couple different tool bits and types but in the end you'll have experience necessary to start applying your threading skills to nearly finished works of art. You don't want to screw up hours of work by botching the threads at the very end of the project

Comment

All good suggestions above.

You asked where to start, and that's actually easy. The first step in threading is having a cutting bit. There are threading cutters-o-plenty you can buy, but it's good practice and you'll learn a good little by grinding your own from a simple piece of high-speed-steel (HSS). So start there.

Typically you use a "fishtail" or center gage:
              (the one on the left)

You simply grind the tool to the required 60 degrees. There's more to it than that, i.e. rake, relief for the helix angle, etc., but getting the 60 degree ground accurate and flat is a good start. It takes a little time at first, but after doing it a couple times it's simple as pie and can be done in a couple minutes. To use the gage, you grind and get it close, then hold it up to the gage with some light or white paper or something behind it so you can check for light "leaking" through to determine where it needs more grinding. Repeat until it fits the fishtail gage perfectly with no light visible when you do the shadow test.

Once you get that, the most difficult part is done. After that it's a matter of doing a little math, setting the lathe for proper lead, working out the threading process and measuring. That is something you can get from books, youtube videos and some trial runs.

Single-point threading is a little tricky at first, but again after a couple practice runs it's easy too. It's just a matter of practice.

Comment

http://www.wewilliams.net/SBLibrary.htm

Save your money on buying unnecessarily expensive books. Try the library for newer text books on the machine trades to start learning the basics. Also keep an eye on yard sales, flea markets etc for cheap books. If its more than $5, its probably not what you need to get started.
                "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Working...
                X