Spiders Taking Over!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spiders Taking Over!

My shop/garage is being taken over by spiders!!!
    Most are of the "Daddy Longlegs" type.
    I have sprayed regular bug stuff, but it doesn't seem to have much effect.
    Anyone have a recommendation?

Rex

Must be a "Mommy Hot Legs" spider around and they're multiplying.???

Sorry i have no idea except those spiders are perfectly harmless.

Comment

If they eat up all the other bugs, they're beneficial. If they have nothing to eat in there, they will eat each other until only a few very large ones remain. Then you might need combat boots-
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

"Daddy-long-legs" are not spiders are they?

http://insects.about.com/od/noninsec...dylonglegs.htm

Comment

Then you might need combat boots

Camel spiders? Son met them in Iraq...nasty!

David
          David Kaiser
          “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
          ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Malathion concentrate and a big bug sprayer

Comment

I have a problem with black widow spiders in my shop usually around the bottoms outside edge of roll up doors and entry doors.I found some insecticide spray at lowes thats awesome.I don't remember the name but its got a big ole nasty spider on the can.When ya go to pick the can up you have to take a close look that its not a real spider on the can.It works great.No spiders for several months after application and kills on contact as well.

Comment

We have spiders, too, and they make a heckuva mess; but, I leave them alone and vacuum up their webs three or four times a year.

If you are determined to get rid of them, get some Tempo. We get ours at our local farm supply store. It is very potent, but safe to use inside the home.

Our biggest nuisance insect is box elder bugs. They like to hang out around the windows in the shop. Whenever I spray Tempo around the windows I'll be sweeping up dead bugs for the next year, or more, just with that one application.

Tempo is expensive, but a very little goes a long way. Our first little bottle (4 oz., perhaps) lasted us for years.

Orrin
                So many projects. So little time.

Comment

My house and garage was a nightmare when I moved in. I buy Ortho Home Defense by the gallon at Home Depot and pour it into a one gallon pump sprayer like you'd use in your yard. I spray the perimeter of the garage and basement along with the basement windows. I also do the garage door. I spray twice a year first when it warms up and they get active, and again in the fall when it gets cold and they try to fine a warm spot to hide. Seems to work when I forget to do it the come back.

Comment

Daddy long legs are rampant here, seems like year round, though in the summer are a lot of em. They seemingly can get anywhere, puzzles me how they get in the house, what with all those legs sticking every where! They will congregate under the eaves of the shop and house in a cluster/wad of dozens and dozens. But at least they are harmless. A bug man friend said that spiders in general are one of the more difficult critters to kill with the sprays because they stand above the surface, distancing them from the poison - so the grandaddy oughta be really hard to get...
                    If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Borax powder along the walls and at the doors.
                      It's only ink and paper

Comment

First of all: Most of the spiders are useful. OK: having said that, I find the daddy long legs seem to keep the bottom of my shop free of "crawlies". Of course, up here, our major problem right now, is mosquitoes. I DON'T have the problem you guys in the south do but still feel sympathy for me please as there is still snow coming in on the logging trucks at my place. Wayne.

Comment

I use foggers from Lowe's. Can't remember what brand, but they work. Set em off and go away for a couple hours. Come back to no mess and no spiders ... least not live ones.
                          Cheers,
                          Gary

Comment

Best shop extermators

I had two shop lizzards for a while. I really came to appreciate their effectiveness. One was a Geco type and made a permanent home there for a long time. The other was a Rusty tree lizard that came and went when the roll up doors were open. I had not seen dung beetles for a long time. There is a sudden population explosion. The wife says they are there because there is too much *hit in my shop. Not sure how to take that.
                            Byron Boucher
                            Burnet, TX

Comment

Again a little bit off topic, BUT some of the spiders are good for your shop. Then again, so are the Ghecgos(SP?). These guys seems to be the FBI cleanup crew for my shop. Wayne,

Comment

Working...
                              X