Source for Small Amount of Copper Round

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for Small Amount of Copper Round

I need some small copper wire or rod. (Just a little bit)

About 1/8 - 3/16" dia (X-section). Either straight rod, or rings about 1 1/4" ID would be even better.

Been trying to think of something I might pick up at Lowes, HD, etc., that I could cannibalize said copper from.

Any thoughts?

I'm not sure of the dimensions of electrical wire. Would they have a wire size approximating that, that I could buy a couple of feet? I think #12 wire is too small.

(This is for a fish netting application.)
    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Try a welding supply company and ask for uncoated brazing rod.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge

#8 Looks to be about right. Should be able to get a few feet at any home store too.

Comment

#6 bare copper wire is used for electrical grounds and is avaliable Home Depot and other electrical suppliers. I canabalize old brass couplings and check valves for brass rings in the 1-2 inch size. Copper fittings are also a good source of rings but they are thinner than you ask for.
        Byron Boucher
        Burnet, TX

Comment

Well duh... I didn't even think about googling wire size or AWG.

Thanks!

Drat! I just sold the old home place, in which I'd had the service panel upgraded a couple of years ago. It had several feet of unused ground wire left dangling there.
          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

That size of electrical wire is going to be pretty soft compared to copper rod.
            The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

"ask for uncoated brazing rod"
              wouldn't that be brass?

Comment

Speedy Metals has copper rod from 1/8" to 4"

Curious about your application
                Byron Boucher
                Burnet, TX

Comment

Originally posted by Boucher
                  Speedy Metals has copper rod from 1/8" to 4"

Curious about your application
                  This will be the center ring at the bottom of a conical net.

Soft doesn't really matter. It's purpose is just to have a somewhat rigid foundation to start netting from. The ring will be left there, so I want something non-corrosive.

See here for idea source. (The ring comes into play at about the 2:30 point in the video.)
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfB1XjhYPP0
                  Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

How about a ring cut from a brass or stainless steel pipe nipple?

Comment

Originally posted by BigMike782
                      "ask for uncoated brazing rod"
                      wouldn't that be brass?
                      No, it's actually bronze.

Comment

I was able to buy 3ft of #6 bare copper ground wire at Lowes.

First thought I was out of luck, when one aisle only had pre-packaged rolls, but then another aisle had big rolls sold by the foot.
                        Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Check your local feed store or Pet store. They may have brass rings for harnesses/ collars.
                          When I get Time... I'll...

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkeye
                            Check your local feed store or Pet store. They may have brass rings for harnesses/ collars.
                            Yeah, that had also ocurred to me. We have a very good, old time feed and seed store downtown, that also carries a lot of horse/harness stuff. I'd just hoped to avoid making the trip down there.

However today I had to go downtown anyway, and did find some bronze rings at a local, ol' timey hardware store that still does a competitive business. I picked up one 1 1/8", which is just a bit smaller than I wanted. Next size up was too big.

I'll try soldering up one from my #6 ground wire. If that doesn't work I'll use this one I got today.

Will be a few days before I can use it anyway. Am going to have to order my twine. It's impossible to find nylon twine locally, smaller than #18 or so, which is bigger than I want.
                            Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Stan
                              No, it's actually bronze.
                              and neither are copper .

Comment

Working...
                              X